Transducer Mounting for Garmin 74 echomap chirp 74sv

Hi all.

Have a question regarding transom mount transducer location on my 21 hewes redfisher.  

Had this installed the other day and used it for first time yesterday.  Great unit but my depth gets completely lost as soon as I plane off.  Im guessing the transducer is too  high as it is currently mounted where the bottom of the transducer is level with the bottom of the boat.  Should I lower it a bit?  Look also at the location.  Doesn't put a  water stream to the motor but would it be better mounted a little to the left where the stepped hull is?  Appreciate any advice you can offer.  

Haven't been posting here in awhile.  Hope everyones been doing great!

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2737.JPG

IMG_2738.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I just mounted the same transducer in the same spot. I have the same problem plus I'm getting a 4 ft rooster tail from the transducer and if I lower my tabs I get a lot of water shooting up onto the motor. I'm definitely too close to the tab. I gotta move it but can't decide what would be better.

I also had the same JP installed last week. having some prop slippage when getting on plan. I'm taking it over to lower the motor down another hole. But I notice that your motor is higher in relation to the bottom of the transom than mine. Wondering if you are getting away with higher motor by using the 4 blade prop. 

have you moved your transducer yet? has your reception improved? Do you get a rooster tail from the transducer?

Yes had it moved slightly down and tilted just a bit.  Reads while underway now.  Very small amount of water comes up when running.  I think Garmin actually makes a hood type device for the little bit of rooster tail so I might look into that.  Not noticing any slippage. Motor has always been in that position.  I had a 3 blade prop for awhile but the 4 blade has been on for many many years and the boat runs great with it.  Good on hole shot and corners well.  If Im by myself I can get almost 60mph maxed out so all good.  :D

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up,my install went well, I get good readings at 40 mph.  My transducer is mounted just below the strake,I mean a 1/4 of an inch.  I have no rooster tail and no spray in the motor.  Your install seems just above the strake area.  Is your motor lifted by your jack plate?  The cavitation plate on the motor looks high in the picture.  That could cause disturbance around the transducer.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mounted mine in the pocket, right next to the drain plug (21 Mav). 

With a transom mount, these new giant Totalscan transducers stick way out, and the foot looked to me like its in the way for sidescan. (might be OK with a jackplate setback, or trimming way up... but mine without a JP was definitely blocking some signal). 

As mentioned above, the pocket has a lot of turbulence - If you mount it on the roof then yes. but if you mount it like a skimmer, just like you would on the transom, the pocket worked fine for me... and no spray worries. Ive even seen some newer big bay boats mounting them in there, nice and out of the way. Your choice both locations can work.

Archived