Casting and blasting

gasparilla

Since it's so quiet over here thought I'd share what all that shooting is about near the Myakka Cutoff . . . 

Here's my daughter with a 6 man limit of Bluebills . . .

IMG_0324.JPG

Here's some friends with the boys' first ducks ever (Melissa was the only one who had ever shot a duck before):

IMG_0568.JPG

The boys capped off their day with their first snook each:

IMG_0572.JPGIMG_0569.JPG

And we're still picking up the occasional redfish after picking up the decoys . . . Negative low tides had me leaving the Maverick at home last week and chasing these suckers with my duck boat . . . 

IMG_0499.JPG

Sheepshead are picking up at the Myakka Bridge.  All this warm weather has snook strung out all over the place, and hungry . . . And the reds are doing redfish things - I'm finding them in deeper water near the mangroves.  Haven't caught a trout in two weeks, but haven't tried either.

Wintertime and bait is easy (read: go buy shrimp) . . . Only 12 more days of ducks season!

@justdriftin - I have shot hundreds of ducks from my Master Angler 21.  I used to rig up burlap and pvc and this elaborate blind; really, all you need are some palm fronds - stash the boat 50-60 yards down the bank and hang out under the mangroves with a frond or two in front of you. I use the duck boat these days because the negative lows don't always leave the Mav enough water to get away . . . 

I hunt the Peace and Myakka Rivers, the Myakka cutoff, the West wall, and occasionally, the south side of the harbor proper.  I've always been afraid to hunt the Bull/Turtle Bay areas because they're technically in the preserve, but I believe you could.  I learned where I could hunt by going to areas I knew were "okay" to begin with and talking to locals and FWC officers.  I don't have it in front of me but I'm pretty sure you can hunt almost anywhere unless it's posted as a nesting area, or within a certain distance to houses/roads.  

My grandfather used to tell me that in the old days, bluebills were a 10 point duck, and they would actually extend the season on them in Florida; he shot them in the harbor out of a 13' skiff with a rusty old Winchester pump . . . I've seen thousands of them in the harbor some year; conservatively, there are seasons where the harbor holds 7-8000 birds . . . 

It's almost entirely bluebills, a handful of mottleds, and maybe a few redheads if it's cold (fingers are crossed for the front on Monday).  We've killed wigeon, blue and green wing teal, mottleds, mallards, redheads, canvasbacks, pintails, 1 ringneck and a gajillion bluebills out there.  Shoot me a DM if you need help getting started - I'm booked the remainder of the season, but be glad to help a forum brother out!

Archived