18 RF Lappy Repower or Rebuild/ Video of SHO added

flatfoot

The 1997 Yamaha 130 on my Hewes died recently.  Im pretty sure a piston is stuck as I cannot even crank the motor now.  I am exploring the options and costs of either rebuilding the engine professionally or repowering.  

The engines that seem to be close in weight to the 370lbs of the existing 130 are the zuke 140, Etec 115 and merc proxs 115.  

Any thoughts?

I am a V4 Yamaha fan. I currently have two of them and have owned several others in the past.  I'm also a mechanic and can handle my own rebuilds so I would definitely lean toward a rebuild or powerhead swap.  As far as repowering an older hull, I think it makes sense if you plan on keeping the boat a long long time.  If you don't, you will lose a lot of money.  Yes new engines are quieter, a little more fuel efficient etc. but they cost A LOT! Especially if you can't rig yourself.  If I was to choose a repower for that boat I'd probably lean towards the Yamaha 115 SHO Vmax, mainly because rigging could be re-used.  Suzuki is a good engine but doesn't have the dealer base or support as much as the others.  I like Merc and Etec as well but neither hold their value like Yamaha. 

As Lap it Up said look at the dealer network in your area if you choose to repower.  I was looking a 18 Hewes a few years back.  Merc and Yamaha are everywhere by me, some Zukes, and few Etec. Unless things have changed you should be able to use most of your Yamaha rigging with Merc.  One other thing to think about if you have one is the height of the platform as most new motors are inline and taller than a V4.

Flatfoot,

Both posts above are ideas you must consider and do what is best for you. Rebuilds are less expensive (usually less than 4K) but you will still have the old technology. The 130 motors are tanks and run forever but stink at gas mileage. If you are not going to keep the boat much longer then go with the rebuild.

Plan B-Order a new motor, or slightly used motor with the new technology (efi, opti and possible 4 stroke). The 4 strokes are competitive in weight now and get great gas mileage!  I looked at a new Yamaha SHO 115 and see them for $9500 but then you need installation and taxes which puts it up closer to $11K. Hopefully, you can get a prop somewhere in the deal, if not, add another $400-500.

14 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

I am a V4 Yamaha fan. I currently have two of them and have owned several others in the past.  I'm also a mechanic and can handle my own rebuilds so I would definitely lean toward a rebuild or powerhead swap.  As far as repowering an older hull, I think it makes sense if you plan on keeping the boat a long long time.  If you don't, you will lose a lot of money.  Yes new engines are quieter, a little more fuel efficient etc. but they cost A LOT! Especially if you can't rig yourself.  If I was to choose a repower for that boat I'd probably lean towards the Yamaha 115 SHO Vmax, mainly because rigging could be re-used.  Suzuki is a good engine but doesn't have the dealer base or support as much as the others.  I like Merc and Etec as well but neither hold their value like Yamaha. 

Thx.  One piston crown cracked badly.  I've been told a reman powerhead is $4500 installed.  I am mechanically inclined and recently rebuilt my diesel generator.  I'm concerned that a 20 yr motor has other potential issues and that there could be metal fragments elsewhere.  A Suzuki 140 will probably be the most affordable rigged, installed with gauges and prop and weighs under 400lbs.  What do think it would cost for me to rebuild myself?   Would the block have to removed and taken to a machine shop?  I have a good zuke dealer very close to my house   They do a lot of repowers and service   

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, flatfoot said:

Thx.  One piston crown cracked badly.  I've been told a reman powerhead is $4500 installed.  I am mechanically inclined and recently rebuilt my diesel generator.  I'm concerned that a 20 yr motor has other potential issues and that there could be metal fragments elsewhere.  A Suzuki 140 will probably be the most affordable rigged, installed with gauges and prop and weighs under 400lbs.  What do think it would cost for me to rebuild myself?   Would the block have to removed and taken to a machine shop?  I have a good zuke dealer very close to my house   They do a lot of repowers and service   

image.jpeg

Melting a piston is either no fuel, no oil or overheat, also a combination of any of those.  A machine shop is needed to hone the good holes, line bore/hone the one that popped and mic/measure all tolerances. Pro marine and WMA make kits for pretty much any outboard rebuild. The kit can be made specific to your rebuild needs. You could save a bunch of money on a powerhead if you did some of the work yourself.  If you have a shop do the short block only it saves a ton. You undress it and pull it off the mid, all they do Is rebuild and you re-install.  Buy a manual and read.  They look intimidating when you pop that cowl but there isn't really much too it.  The #1 thing you need to figure out is why it blew in the first place.  Fuel system and carbs need to be completely gone thru along with the entire oil system, oil electronics and cooling system. Monty builds awesome engines so does hydrotec, but they come at a price. Cheaper then a brand new engine I'm sure. 

The 140 Suzuki weighs just over 400 dry, about 50lbs more than what you have.  Great fuel mileage, very quiet.  For me excellent hole shot, but top end max 40mph.  The Yamaha throttle controls should work.  Don't buy digital gauge upgrade, it's not made for that engine.  Flush regularly if in salt and change the pencil anodes every 100 hours.  Otherwise a solid choice.  I also considered the Etec and Yammy, but yammy unable at the time and more $

With most of these you will have to rebuild your platform, they won't fit under (or tilt)

On January 2, 2017 at 4:48 PM, johnd said:

The 140 Suzuki weighs just over 400 dry, about 50lbs more than what you have.  Great fuel mileage, very quiet.  For me excellent hole shot, but top end max 40mph.  The Yamaha throttle controls should work.  Don't buy digital gauge upgrade, it's not made for that engine.  Flush regularly if in salt and change the pencil anodes every 100 hours.  Otherwise a solid choice.  I also considered the Etec and Yammy, but yammy unable at the time and more $

With most of these you will have to rebuild your platform, they won't fit under (or tilt)

Thanks for the response.  The zuke 140 weighs 396lbs vs present 130 at 370lbs.  My platform is tall but I'll have to measure.  The Etec 115, merc 115 proxs and 115 vmax sho are all close in weight.  I though the 140 would out perform a 115.   Seems odd.  Displacement and able to turn bigger wheel?

Platform height in pic. 

image.jpeg

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:58 PM, fishmanjj said:

That's a tall platform....I don't think that will be a problem with any of your motor choices.

I have a friend with a 115 E tec H/O which actually has 124 horsepower per the spec sheet on an Action Craft 1720 ACE which runs 46 mph with two of us and full gear. 

Thanks for the reply.  I was getting 44mph with a four blade solas.  I'm still bouncing between rebuild vs repower.  

• 3 months later...

Decided to re power with the.VF115 sho.  It was installed on the lowest hole and I'm pretty sure I had the last motor on the 2nd hole.  I'm picking up again tomorrow after having the engine moved up one.  Now I'm going to have to get some welding done to raise the platform.  

The engine rins runs great and has more torque than the 2 stroke.  It really jumps out of the water.  

Flat foot I think that you will be happy with the vf 115 sho . Even if you sell the dealers will look at what the new motor is worth and the hull. I have repowered  a few boats with a new motor on a older hull and they adjusted the price. If you like the boat just run it and enjoy . We all get hosed on what up grades we add . A new motor is a lot less than a new boat,motor and trailer. Enjoy your new motor.  Joe R

Flatfoot,
Excellent choice!  The VF115 SHO is an awesome motor.  Your boat is probably close to the same weight as mine, so you can expect 7+ MPG @ 3800 RPM @ about 30 MPH.  With the right prop, it will top out at 6400 RPM (light load), and run PDQ.  Please post your numbers and prop size when you get it dialed-in.  Thanks, and enjoy your new setup!

Thanks for the feedback.  I ran it a bit with full fuel, 10 y/0 son and min gear.  The talon sds prop is on back order like all Yamaha props.  It will be a 13 1/8x18 p 3 blade.  I ran my solas 13x17 4 blade Sunday.  I do not have fuel mgmt.  I was mostly let my son drive so I didn't pay much attention to numbers.  I think 4500 was about 32 mph or 28 kts.  WOT trimmed out was 6300 at 38.5 kts.  

I also have an older Yammy 3 blade and a merc trophy plus 4 blade to try.  

I screwed up and insisted that the dealer had installed at wrong height. I had them move up to #2 which will require mod of the platform to trim up all the way.  I looked at pics of the old engine and noted in was at lowest hole.  Duh.  Now I need to have them move it back.   

Yeah, you might have been losing some grip and speed with the motor mounted higher than before.  Fyi, I'm running a 13 x 17P Merc SpitFire X7 4-blade and a 13 1/8 x 19P Yamaha Talon SS SDS and getting the same WOT RPM.  The Talon is 3 MPH faster at WOT.  I'll bet your son enjoyed being in the Captain's seat. I sure did at that age, and still do!  :)

Have a great weekend!

Gary

flatfoot,

that looks great! would you post up some numbers on mileage and speeds. I would also like to hear your likes and dislikes (if any). You can PM me if you like. I am looking at the same motor to upgrade and want your opinions. Thanks

Very sharp looking with that SHO!!

Dale

• 2 weeks later...

Archived