115 hp vs 150 hp

I have the 150. It definitely drafts more than the 115. How much more exactly , I don't know. I've seen boats with 115s at the ramp but never been on one to see. Maybe 1.5-2" based on looking at them in the water. I moved my trolling motor batteries to the bow and put my cranking battery in the console to help. That made a big difference in how the boat sits in the water.

However, the 150 on this boat is awesome. I routinely cruise at 45-50 getting 4+mpg. You just can't do that with the 115. 35-40 mph is ~5mpg. Top speed is 58-62 depending on if I have my summer or winter prop on. It drives like a corvette. Effortless power and crazy fun to drive. If you are on the trolling motor more than the pole, the 150 is the way to go. However, I do pole mine often and friends always are extremely surprised at how easy it is to pole. It's a lot of boat compared to the East Cape Caimen I had before but poles much better than the Hewes Bayfisher 16 I had before that.

Also, if you've never been on one you'll be amazed at how well it rides. Every time I run in chop I think to myself that a skiff just shouldn't ride this good.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On June 9, 2017 at 4:19 PM, lurem said:

Check with member Dabear, he swapped his F150 for a 115 SHO about 3-4 weeks ago on his HPX-V 18'. He would be able to give another evaluation.

The boat does draft a little less with the SHO 115.  I would guess about a 2 inch change. If you are a speed demon you will want to ride in both to see which combo is for you. I would say you will drop about 10 MPH go from about 63 to about 53. Both ride great. With two people both have great hole shots. Add more than two people and you will notice both the hole shot and top end speed changes  with the 115 more than it did with the 150. Both set ups are great . It's a trade off more speed and hp  a little less draft . Less draft less speed. Hope this helps . If you have not rode in the HPX with a 150 and rode in the SHO 115  HPX you may think that it is hauling but at 53 or so MPH , but if you rode in the 150 set up correct  running 63 or so MPH you may miss that speed. Hope this helps Joe R

Which hole you are running the motor has more to do with what the prop you are running likes than the motor. I was running my motor on the second hole from the top  with a stock 23 M Yamaha pro series prop and with a modified by Steve at Steves custom prop shop 25 M Yamaha . The boat rode and handled great.  Joe R 

• Like 1

I ran my 2016 HPX-V 18 with the F150 on the second hole with a Tempest 23 or 24. I tried the Yamaha Pro 23" and hated it compared to the Tempest. 

It definitely porpoises with the F150, but then I haven't been in a skiff that didn't. Nothing a little tab didn't take care of. Above 40mph or so you could raise the tabs all the way and it wouldn't porpoise. I will say that being able to cruise at 50 makes a serious difference in your ability to make substantial changes in fishing area over the course of the day. I found myself running much further than I ever had before and not thinking twice about running 20 or 30 miles or more if I got somewhere and the water was crap. 

I went the other way as Dabear. My family started wanting to come with me when my 2yo expressed an interest in being on the boat constantly. I sold mine and bought a Yellowfin 21 Hybrid with a 250 SHO. It's a little bit more of everything the HPX-V with the 150 gives you in exchange for about 3 inches of draft. 70mph is fun! And 50+ in a serious bay chop is nice. There are definitely times i miss the 10" draft when looking for redfish though. You can't have everything. I just needed to get my NRX rods under the deck and away from my kids feet.

• Like 1

Oh you can definitely still redfish with the 150. I fished a few tournaments out of mine and did fine. If you are expecting to pole around where the fish have backs out of the water, even the 115 won't give you that. You need to be looking at an HPX-S or HPX-V 17 with a 70 or 90. 

To put it simply, if you are going to spend the majority of time on the pole go with the 115. If you spend the majority of the time on the trolling motor go with the 150. 

• Like 1

Thank you, Marshfly...I would definitely be on the trolling motor exclusively, so I would need the 150.  I'm still toying with using the Atlas Jack that I already have from another boat as well, so, we'll see.  Truly appreciate you guys' help.  It looks like a great boat and an even better reputation!

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:20 PM, Marshfly said:

To put it simply, if you are going to spend the majority of time on the pole go with the 115. If you spend the majority of the time on the trolling motor go with the 150. 

What Marshfly said. Go with the F90 if you don't mind cruising 5mph slower and you want to burn about 25% less fuel than a 115. It's all a trade off!

32 minutes ago, conocean said:

What Marshfly said. Go with the F90 if you don't mind cruising 5mph slower and you want to burn about 25% less fuel than a 115. It's all a trade off!

What is your MPG at 30 and 40mph? I'd be interested to see if it is actually lower than the 150. I always hear that but the Yamaha test reports and my experience don't show that.

FWIW I would get 4.8 mpg at 50mph, 5.0 or a little better at 40mph, and 6.0 at 30mph. I find it hard to believe that you could do much better than that. My East Cape Caimen would only get about 6.5 at 30mph with the F70. 

That 5 mpg at 50mph is what makes the F150 worth it. Frankly, after owning one, if I needed to get skinny, I'd be buying a 17 with the new F90.

Depending on sea conditions, my numbers are roughly......8-9mpg at 26-29mph / 6-8mpg at 30-34mph. That's running a 19p Yamaha Pro prop. I can't tell you much more because I rarely go faster than that unless I'm running from a storm. Time flies too fast in life so I try to slow down and enjoy it anytime I'm on the water!

• Like 1

The couple of times I actually looked down at mid 20s I'd be at 8 too. So there is no economy benefit to the smaller engines, only draft. But mid 20s is crawling. low 30s is crawling. Thats mud motor speeds. 

If all you do is fly fish and never keep fish the 90 might work, but if you use the live well and actually bring tackle if seems like it would be underpowered for the load with 2 or 3 guys. I remember how my F70 felt on the much smaller Caimen when loaded down and it wasn't fun.

Do you have a trolling motor on your boat?

So if I get approx 8mpg at 30mph and you get approx 6mpg at 30mph then isn't that a 25% difference!? Well, that plus a 2" draft difference. :) 

But forget what your computer says. At the pump is where we can all find our accurate economy numbers. For instance, an acquaintance of mine (who has a 115SHO on his 18HPX) and I fished side-by-side for two days; we both started with full tanks and ran at roughly the same speeds. When we refueled after two days, the pump told us he burned 21% more fuel than I did, yet both of his "computers" showed better fuel economy than what he actually got. That being said, different props will yield different results on all the motors.

I carry a well full of bait (mostly shrimp or finger mullet) on almost every trip and I do not fly fish. I usually fish with one other person including a loaded 65qt RTIC, full hatches and TM. As I previously stated, time files too fast (for me) so I like to enjoy my "crawling" rides. LoL

The 6yc gauge on my Maverick was always within a tenth of a gallon on fillup. It was extremely accurate. Also, when you said 6-7 at 30-34 I assume you meant 6-7 at 30-34. I didn't assume 6-7 meant 8. But whatever. Different rides for different folks. I'd rather spend my time fishing that boat riding so I like to move faster.

Regardless, this thread is about whether the speed is worth the draft and since the guy is always on the trolling motor, the answer is a definite YES.

I wrote "6-8mpg at 30-34mph". Meaning that I get approx 8mpg at 30mph and 6mpg at 34mph.

I'd probably opt to move faster if I were fishing other areas of the U.S. but I fish the Glades 99% of the time and there is a lot to see....as well as a lot of cr@p to run over!  

I agree, if slyluna is always on the TM and then the 150 is probably the best option.

Yea, I've fished the glades once with my Caimen. I agree that that area is not one to be running 50 everywhere in. Hard shallow bottoms, big animals, and high speeds are a bad combo. hehe That area is a good example of how a kind of unorthodox setup is ideal for a specific area.

It makes it tough when guys ask for recommendations and don't say where and how they are fishing from the get go. I would imagine that is why you see so many East Cape, Beavertail, etc. for sale so soon after they are built. Guys get romanced into super skinny or super fast or whatever and then realize it *** for how they actually fish day to day. it seems guys graduate into Mavericks, Chittums, and HBs once they figure that out.

This is a good discussion and should be saved. It's a shame the forum is setup to purge old threads rather than keeping them for eternity like the rest of the internet.

• Like 2