Rtic coolers on sale

localangler

I have no affiliation with the company and if it needs to be deleted I will.  But they have their coolers on sale again.   I ordered a 65 for $169 to my door. I had originally said I couldn't justify the price of this style of cooler but at that price I decided to give one a try. I know when they first hit the market the delay from order to shipping was horrible. So I waited to see if that had improved before posting here. According to UPS my cooler is already on the road and shipped within about a day of ordering. 

https://www.rticcoolers.com

50 minutes ago, redzone1 said:

These coolers are great quality.  I swear they are the exact cooler as a yeti with an Rtic sticker.  I bought one of the soft hopper coolers back in the spring........very well built and absolutely will NOT leak.  

That's because they are Yetis ;)

I don't doubt that the Rtic stuff is good quality. In fact, someone gave me one of their tumblers as a gift and it's just as nice as my Yeti cup. But the business owner side of me just has a problem with a company's sole selling point being, "Our stuff is exactly the same, only cheaper." They did a great design on their soft coolers and I like that design much better than my Yeti bag. But I still have a problem with someone starting a company with the explicit intention of copying someones product and simply selling it for less.

To each there own (and I respect your philosophy ), I'd buy a Yeti if they'd kept production in the USA.  However, they left the country prior to the competition coming to market. So they cut production cost and increased profit at the expense of US jobs. As a working stiff that doesn't sit well with me but that is business.

I haven't needed a soft sided cooler yet so I've yet to really look at any of those. I don't want to say I'll never get one of those because I thought the same thing about rotomold coolers.  I figured ice was cheap and I don't do long adventures where I truly need ice for 7 days. 

My tumbler is a Yeti though.  It was a nice gift from my wife and daughter and does really well in a car all day while working. I've yet to see a Rtic tumbler but I did compare my wife's Yeti coozie to the Rtic one and they're about the same. We just got an Ozark Trail cup to try and paint. I can tell you that the Walmart cups are not handled as nicely either in store or during transit (dinged and dented) as the other brands and the 20 ounce cups have at least 2 different shapes on the shelf. 

7 hours ago, Marshfly said:

I don't doubt that the Rtic stuff is good quality. In fact, someone gave me one of their tumblers as a gift and it's just as nice as my Yeti cup. But the business owner side of me just has a problem with a company's sole selling point being, "Our stuff is exactly the same, only cheaper." They did a great design on their soft coolers and I like that design much better than my Yeti bag. But I still have a problem with someone starting a company with the explicit intention of copying someones product and simply selling it for less.

Someone had to do something to bring Yeti back to reality. Their prices are just crazy.  I actually think RTIC's pitch is nicer than most. They aren't saying Yeti is a bad product, they are actually saying just the opposite. It's only a price difference.  Just for an example, watch any Auto industry truck commercial.  aluminum bed, steel bed, reinforced frame blah blah blah. Those guys bash each other and cut throats on a daily basis. 

9 hours ago, Marshfly said:

done all the time

What is also done all the time- "spin-off companies" are created after a company establishes a strong hold on a particular market. This usually happens after "true competitor's" products start taking a meaningful market share from the original company. The original company has the means / capital to create it's own "faux competition" and severely under-cut their true competition to further strengthen their place in the market. The people with the money, desire, or both to purchase the name brand continue to do so. The people that are willing to save money over name brand recognition will purchase the less expensive alternative. Either way the original company wins. Even if retailing the cheaper alternative at a zero profit margin, taking market share from the "true competition" is worth the cost.

I'll be here all week, the prime rib is excellent and please don't forget to tip your wait staff.:ph34r:

29 minutes ago, jason p said:

What is also done all the time- "spin-off companies" are created after a company establishes a strong hold on a particular market. This usually happens after "true competitor's" products start taking a meaningful market share from the original company. The original company has the means / capital to create it's own "faux competition" and severely under-cut their true competition to further strengthen their place in the market. The people with the money, desire, or both to purchase the name brand continue to do so. The people that are willing to save money over name brand recognition will purchase the less expensive alternative. Either way the original company wins. Even if retailing the cheaper alternative at a zero profit margin, taking market share from the "true competition" is worth the cost.

I'll be here all week, the prime rib is excellent and please don't forget to tip your wait staff.:ph34r:

This was my first thought when i saw the RTIC, thought it was Yeti trying to *** the middle out of the market.  Brilliant if it is, we may never really know.  The lawsuit could be a smoke screen and yeti could very well be backing RTIC, wouldn't be the first time.  Waiting to see them show up at Walmart.

Thanks for info, localangler. I was just about to buy a new 65qt on the RTIC site and I mentioned it to my girlfriend but she beat me to the sale and I should be getting my early Christmas gift tomorrow!!

My 80qt Yeti has seen it all. I purchased it a few months after the company started making coolers . I only paid......$225! It is now beat up, delaminated, the lid is concaved and the latches are about toast but I'll be darn if that thing still doesn't hold ice just as good as it did when it was new! I've definitely got every penny out of that cooler and it owes me nothing. I hope my new RTIC can withstand the beating it's about to endure over the next several years!!

Archived