2001 Redfisher 16 SEADEK Project

MarcoFishHippie

It's hard for me to believe that it was a month ago today I started working on my some miscellaneous projects on my 2001 Redfisher. This was my first foray into boat repairs or restoration or anything. So I was a little daunted. I made some mistakes along the way but overall I really enjoyed myself and would do it again in a heartbeat. Thanks to many of you regulars on this forum for passing along insights, advice and encouragement. It was really helpful. The payoff moment for me was yesterday afternoon when the folks from Castaway Customs (www.castawaycustoms.com) arrived to install the first phase of SeaDek on the boat. Anyone in Florida looking for SeaDek should call the guys at Castaway. They are great to work with and supremely professional. They came to my dock about two weeks ago to measure my boat with their laser device and were back ASAP to do the custom installation. Several of my friends in the Marco Island area have used Castaway Customs and their boats look great. At any rate, here are some pictures from yesterday's installation. Enjoy! 

IMG_5257.JPG

IMG_5260.JPG

IMG_5261.JPG

IMG_5263.JPG

IMG_5264.JPG

IMG_5268.JPG

IMG_5269.JPG

IMG_5270.JPG

IMG_5274.JPG

IMG_5278.JPG

IMG_5279.JPG

IMG_5280.JPG

IMG_5283.JPG

IMG_5284.JPG

IMG_5285.JPG

The seat configuration is one of my biggest pet peeves about the RF. It is a waste of space that could be much better utilized as storage. The biggest change I made during my little project was turning the seat into storage. I really spent a lot of time noodling over this one because I wanted it to look seamless. Here is the progression and end result. I am thrilled with it! 

IMG_4663.JPG

IMG_4828.JPG

IMG_4818.JPG

IMG_4827.JPG

IMG_4835.JPG

IMG_5271.JPG

IMG_5272.JPG

IMG_5273.JPG

IMG_5276.JPG

thanks for the great feedback. Here are a few more pictures I took yesterday. SeaDek will be back in a few weeks to finish the project with siding on the gunwales and some work on the console. So more to come. Fin-Addict - to your question on the additional weight, I think it was negligible. I picked up the box with all the SeaDek cuttings and it couldn't have weighed more than a few lbs. But you raise a really good point. Throughout this process I've been very concerned with not adding weight. I took out 12-15 lbs when I removed the seat pad and seat back. I added back about 5 pounds when I built up the wall in the back. I think on an overall basis, I have probably taken off a few lbs so feel like I am ahead of the game. Thanks again everyone for the great feedback!!  

IMG_5286.JPG

IMG_5300.JPG

IMG_5302.JPG

MarcoFishHippie, outstanding job of the refurbishment and modifications.  That is an amazing SeaDek job.  Love the outlining around the fittings, screws, rod tube holes, etc and the weathered gray wood look is fantastic.  I really liked your modifications to the bench seat.  I never use the back rest, so I have the same wasted space that you had.  Removing the seat bottom and padded backrest, then elevating and reinforcing things is a great innovation.  Something I am seriously considering on my 2002 RF16.

Did you do anything as far as replacing the hatch latches?  The OEM latches are convenient, but prone to having the locking tab get accidently pushed down by bags of ice, tackle boxes, etc.

A couple of ideas for future consideration:  I replaced the single under gunwhale courtesy lights with three small blue LED lights on each side as well as a slim blue LED bar under the front edge of the poling platform.  I also replaced the navigational side lights and stern light with LEDs.  Years ago, there was a post about a step that was mounted midway up the poling platform framework and projected forward to make climbing up on the platform easier.

Love the SeaDek and custom logos!  Really impressed with how you upgraded under the seat.  Don't listen to those naysayers, if you want (need) a sissy bar, it's your boat, do what you want.  Just a sweet looking ride.  Only thing missing is some slime and fish blood :)

Marco....I've been following this thread and I love the work that you did on your Redfisher 16.  I've got a 2006 Redfisher 16 and will be doing some mods myself.   I really want to redo that flip up seat and the storage space under it and you've given me some good ideas.

Thanks for sharing your project with us!!

On 12/2/2016 at 10:54 AM, GatorJ said:

MarcoFishHippie, outstanding job of the refurbishment and modifications.  That is an amazing SeaDek job.  Love the outlining around the fittings, screws, rod tube holes, etc and the weathered gray wood look is fantastic.  I really liked your modifications to the bench seat.  I never use the back rest, so I have the same wasted space that you had.  Removing the seat bottom and padded backrest, then elevating and reinforcing things is a great innovation.  Something I am seriously considering on my 2002 RF16.

Did you do anything as far as replacing the hatch latches?  The OEM latches are convenient, but prone to having the locking tab get accidently pushed down by bags of ice, tackle boxes, etc.

A couple of ideas for future consideration:  I replaced the single under gunwhale courtesy lights with three small blue LED lights on each side as well as a slim blue LED bar under the front edge of the poling platform.  I also replaced the navigational side lights and stern light with LEDs.  Years ago, there was a post about a step that was mounted midway up the poling platform framework and projected forward to make climbing up on the platform easier.

Thanks Gator - the original latches were pretty well busted up when I bought the boat. I replaced all the existing hinges with Gemlux friction hinges, which alleviates the needs for latches. I'm very happy that upgrade. Ironically, I just finished replacing the existing courtesy lights with blue LEDs. I like the idea of a bar under the poling platform. I will look into that. If you decide to modify your bench seat, I wish you luck - send pictures!

A few more little tasks I did while tinkering today ... mounted the fire extinguisher, a little cargo netting inside the front hatch cover. Also put some hooks on the anchor locker to hold up spare line so it doesn't sit on the bottom of the hull but stays out of the way.

SeaDek will be back in two weeks to do the remainder of the installation. I will post more pics when they are done!

IMG_5291.JPG

IMG_5295.JPG

IMG_5296.JPG

IMG_5299.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback on the boat. It has been a ton of fun putting this project together and I am totally happy with the results. I wish everyone on here much luck with their projects. SeaDek was here the other day and installed the last few remaining pieces, so here are a few more photos. Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year! And tight lines and all that stuff too! MFH

IMG_5392.JPG

IMG_5391.JPG

IMG_5390.JPG

IMG_5388.JPG

IMG_5387.JPG

Archived