ANYONE IN THE FORT MYERS AREA willing to help a brother out?

whichwaysup

7 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

From what I remember the 0X 66 is a closed loop fuel injected motor. It does have the VST filter and 02 sensor which are shared components with the HPDI. Both of which are a maintenance item that is fairly simple to address. I had one that I kept for a long time and it was a good engine. Very strong in throttle response. Make sure you burn the recommended octane fuel in it and it being an older engine I would avoid the use of ethanol.

Good stuff capt. I might add to that Ringfree and I'd pick an oil and stick with it.  I found a bottle of Walmart crap in my boat so pumped my bag out and drained the on engine tank and went with Pennzoil premium plus like I always have. Don't wanna get into debating oil, I'd say pick one and stick with it....

17 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Thanks all - really appreciate it.  I run non-e premium in my boat now, and have a station within a few minutes of the house and the ramp, so between that and Ring free, I'm hoping to keep this thing running for many years.

The check was sent out today - boat should be delivered in a week or so   :)

High Octane fuel is not recommended for the HPDI and I'm not sure about the OX 66. The higher the Octane the cooler the combustion. The timing on the HPDI is retarded to run on 87 to 89 octane. Extended idle/slow speed operation will lead to spark plug and 02 sensor failure. It took the Yamaha factory tech to figure that out. I got 1 of the first HPDI engines and it replaced the original 200 Carbed vmax HPDI om my 99 MA. Just so happened I was slap full of 60 gallons of 93 octane fuel. 4 02 sensors and 4 sets of plugs later Yamaha sent a tech down. It took him 2 days and he was following me to the ramp and I stopped for fuel. You should have seen the look on his face when I pulled the premium nozzle. I was Tarpon fishing at the time and was idling several hours a day with no hard runs. Burned that fuel off and went to the recommend fuel and never another issue. He said it would not have never been an issue except for the long periods of slow speed operation causing the carbon build up due to low combustion temps. Burn what they tell ya. This said below is in the manual. It will give you an idea of how the set there mapping and timing anticipating the operator is going to run the cheapest fuel he can run.

Recommended fuel:
Regular unleaded gasoline
Min. pump octane:

To be honest I was mad as a hornet with the Yamaha tech as he went back to Atlanta and I was calling BS and figured I would be down again in the middle of my Tarpon Season. Motor never missed another beat. It would foul out so bad in a couple of hours I could barely get up on plane to get home. All from the fuel.O.o

I can not speak for the OX66 but only for the HPDI.  I run 89-90 octane real gas and never had any real issues.  I think the key is to run them "hard" for a bit every trip.  I am not saying run WOT everywhere you go but go ahead a open her up.

I have a small calm section of water before I get to the ramp.  On a normal day out I will open up there and my plugs have always been clean

When I had a new lower unit put on I had to go through the whole break in just like you would with a new motor.  After the 10 hours of putzing around my plugs were in need of changing. 

Archived