Redfisher 16 F70 vs F90

browndog

I tend to agree. I have fished on a Hells Bay Boca Grande that had the F70 fitted. Admittedly it is a lighter rig but it is 18' and 6'6" beam. The rig had no probs with 3 men and gear. We were hitting 30knots and maybe a bit over at WOT. The owner said they liked the economy of the F70.

Also saw seen one that had a C80 2 stroke on it and that apparently went very sweet.

I have seen the odd RF16 with a F70 for sale so someone must know how they perform.

I'm on the fence. On one hand the RF16 easilly fits my needs. But I struggle with the heavy F90 or the potential anemic F70. 

So, I find myself agreeing with the better informed that the RF18 with the SHO115 has better weight / HP balance. 

And, since every boat I've ever owned shrunk once in water...I may have to ante up and go w/ the larger more expensive rig. 

Ah, but then you have to decide if you want the 115 or the 150...it never ends.

Personally, I've had boats with the minimum hp needed and will never do that again.  Now I go max, or close to it, and I'm not a speed demon (I bet I spend 90% of my time in Manatee Zones or No Wake Zones), but it's always good to have the power when you need it.  My instinct would be for the F90 but with the 100lb difference it may end up being a wash???  Good Luck!

I have a 17 hpx with the older heavier F90, the weight is worth the extra HP...  It's really a de-tuned 115, so it's very torquey with a lot of midrange power...  the speed is perfect with a 90, fast enough to keep you happy, slow enough to keep you safe...  The F115 and the SHO are lighter, in my experience passengers start getting nervous around 40mph....  The F90 pushes me 42 loadd to the hilt  (PP, 24 TM, GEAR, ).. Even with all that and 3 people I still hit over 40....  I've seen 45 empty... I'd like to have a Merc pro xs on the back, but it would put me up into the 55 range and I'd hardly ever use it. .

• 3 weeks later...
On September 29, 2016 at 1:53 PM, Nauti said:

Ah, but then you have to decide if you want the 115 or the 150...it never ends.

Personally, I've had boats with the minimum hp needed and will never do that again.  Now I go max, or close to it, and I'm not a speed demon (I bet I spend 90% of my time in Manatee Zones or No Wake Zones), but it's always 

I went with the RF18 and the Yam115 SHO. It's a 40+ mph rig and that's plenty for me. 

It appears to be a well balanced package. Plus, it looks real cool. B|

Archived