THIS is a sunrise

whichwaysup

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this counts  1)  I was not going fishing and 2) The boat is a commercial grade Whaler.  But it is a Georgia sunrise.

IMG_3452.thumb.jpeg.b64d052a190bee132e0ada8d82322d22.jpeg

This is one of the research vessels belonging to Savannah State University's Dolphin Lab which is run by Dr. Tara Cox, one of the country's foremost Marine Mamal experts.  We go out and do a photo survey of the Georgia coastal Bottle Nose Dolphins each month.  The effort is done under a permit from NOAA so that we can approach the animals without interfering with their activities.

Each dorsal fin in unique, the same as a human fingerprint.  If we can get a sharp photograph of the fin, the lab technicians can identify the animal and can add it to a photo data base of all the coastal Dolphins.  This enables studies of population, the general health of the animals, numbers of new calves, etc.

I know you all know this but PLEASE do not approach and NEVER feed wild Dolphins.  They are not Flipper!  Those actions can lead to the premature death of the animal.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2021 at 8:11 PM, Big Dave said:

the Wakulla River.

IMG_5964.thumb.jpeg.b84bd3eeeb66763c6e717730e81457d9.thumb.jpeg.665d074d7ff4edf862e8f56c097fa3db.jpeg

Dave,

I've been on the Wakulla River.  Launched at the ramp by the Route 98 bridge.  We went down river to the St marks Light House.  I wasn't sure how much water there was going up river.

Is the Wakulla navigable upstream from rt 98 all the way to the Springs??  In a Pathfinder, not a canoe.

7 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Hey, Ron.  Beautiful river for sure. The first 3 miles (from the springs) are restricted, so no access except the park tour boats.  I would think you could navigate ok from Rt. 98 to Shadeville Road. There is a ramp there too, called the Upper Bridge Boat Ramp.  

Dave you sight seeing or fishing ?

dc

• 4 weeks later...