THIS is a sunrise

whichwaysup

• 1 month later...

I missed out on my annual trip to the ENP and Naples over Christmas as I had bigger fish to fry so I didn't get to find that great sunrise.  However, I was able to capture one of the most impressive sunsets ever.  This is at a place just south of Pacifica, CA called Moss Beach Distillery https://www.mossbeachdistillery.com If you are ever in the SF Bay area or south, this is a must stop.  Not the normal Tourist spot.  This is really only where locals know about or hang out.

So here is my Fish (frying) Story...   As I returned back to KY after a Crappie fishing trip at Lake Wiess in October, I got a VM from my Uncle.  He seemed very concerned about something and I knew something was up.  Called him back and he begins to tell me that his daughter purchased he and his wife an Ancestry.com DNA kit for their Bdays this summer.  He waited until about August to "Spit and Activate."  Not much longer he makes a connection with a long lost cousin that he hadn't seen in nearly 70 years.  She proceeds to inform him that she has made a connection with a lady in SF Bay area that was adopted at birth and is looking for her birth parents.  Based on her years of research and her recent "Spit and Activate" with ancestry, she was able to track down the cousin who then made the connection to my Uncle.  They knew the birth dad had our Sir Name and was from KY.  This Lady (Kim) then started research again and immediately pulled up Dad's obituary.  She had also just within a few weeks after her Activation found her Birth Mom who would not reveal the Birth Dad because of Legal Documents, Non-Disclosures, etc.  So Kim told her birth mom that she had an Obit for this guy and wanted to know if that was her Dad?  Her Birth Mom said yes and then advised her she could not contact her anymore.  This is a really long, amazing story so I won't go into details and will try to shorten it up...

So Uncle tells me that it looks like I have a Half-Sister ( I grew up an only child) out there that Nobody knew about.  My Dad was a high profile athlete at an SEC school and had no issues with finding a date. Apparently this gal was one that he may have dated for a bit (Dad a SR in College and the Mom a Soph) and ended up getting pregnant.  The Birth Mom came from a prominent family who had connections to a well known SF Bay area attorney who was doing private adoptions for the affluent on the left coast.  He set everything up and Kim was adopted at birth with the Birth Parents and all involved having to sign away their life to keep this secret.  

Anyway, Uncle tells me Kim wants nothing and is content with her life and situation but since her adoptive parents have passed, she'd like to maybe connect with some birth family at least for medical history and possibly to learn about her Birth Dad.  So I did a little internet detective work to make sure this was all legit and I sent her a message.  We agreed to a phone call and after an hour I felt like I had known her my entire life.  She had little things she said and the type of personality that totally reminded me of my (our) Dad.  Even so far as to repeat a very uncommon statement the neither would have ever known that the other had used because they had never met.  Obviously the next step was to meet so her schedule wasn't where she could travel to the east coast until this Spring and I had an opportunity so my wife talked me into just her and I going out to SF.  Not a bad gig for husband/wife close to the Holidays. 

Well Kim was awesome.  She grew up in the Berkley/Alamo area and was the typical valley kid.  Got into sales after college and spent a lot of time all over the SF area, as well as the rest of the world, so she had plenty of Local Knowledge.  We arrived in SF right at the tail end of a huge cold front which created high winds off the coast so all of the big time surfers were called in for "Mavericks" championship.  As it turned out, they had to call it off due to the size of the danger of the waves.  We ended up driving down there anyway in hopes to catch a visual of the waves on the coast.  She really wanted to head to this great place for a sunset (I'm sure there are plenty on the west coast) and it did not disappoint.  

Long Story Short... If you ever are in the Bay area or down towards Half Moon Bay, be sure to checkout Moss Beach Distillery for a great sunset view, meal and/or beverage.  It's an amazing little spot with Lots of history. 

DSC_2279.JPG

DSC_2270.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...