2016 HPX-V 18 F150 Prop

Marshfly

What is everyone using?

Mine came with a PT RAS3 21p which is not at all right. It porpoises all over the place unless the hammer is down and then only does 54-55 at 5900. Should I just bite the bullet and get the Yamaha Pro in a 22 since that prop in a 23 did so well in the performance bulletin but was obviously and empty boat.

Or maybe a PT PTC3 or RKR3 would work well for much less money.

Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, dabear said:

Yamaha pro series 23 should work well.  Joe R

Are you able to push that prop with a normal fishing load? I would love to run that prop and get the performance on the bulletin. 

I wonder if the PT VMS3 I really the same prop. They say "similar to Yamaha Pro" but it's over $200 less.

After chatting with my local prop shop, he assured me that the Yamaha Pro, while fast, would be a mistake. They are too soft for our local area and would wear way to fast with the shallow water we occasionally run through.

He recommended a Tempest in 22 pitch.

Also, dabear, what hole is your motor mounted at?

With the worked 25 pro series Yamaha (worked by Steves Custom Prop Shop) My engine is in the second from the top hole, When I am loaded for bear full of gas lots of gear for mostly out of town trips I run a stock 23 pro series with the motor also mounted in the second hole. When I ran the RKR  power tech I was in the third hole from the top. You need to fine tune your set up with what ever style prop you run . Some props like to run higher some like to run lower . When ever I get a diff prop I like to take a day and test and tune play with it and adjust until my set up is what the prop likes.The good thing is after you set it up and fine tune it your done. I have been running the same two prop 's and motor height for years. Hope this helps.  Joe R

Looking back at both of the Yamaha performance bulletins both with the old F150 and the new VF150 they are both at the top hole getting over 60 mph at 6000 rpm. This past weekend I was only able to turn the RAS3 21 up to 5600 at 55 mph. I raised the motor up a hole for some testing later this week. Hopefully that will help out. 

Dabear, what speed do you get with the Pro 23 and 25 props?

59 low and 63.something high --- You need to trim that thing out get the hull out of the water and sit on the narrow pad to run in the 60's ---- the pro series Yamaha s and the PT RKR  both will let you air that thing out . Both props have great over all lift and both will hold the bow up . 

I've got it trimmed to where there are only 2 bars left on the gauge at WOT. I borrowed a RKR 23 and ran it yesterday. I ran it with my tackle and a full live well and got 56.5mph at 5500 and then down to 56 at 5700 with the water pressure started to drop off. I have the motor in the second hole from the top. Any higher and I can't clear the platform. Also I had a bit of blowout in decent turns at all speeds. Maybe I just run my boat with more crap in it than you guys do. I relayed all of that to my local prop guy and he again pushed me to the Tempest 22 so I ordered one. I'll report in when I get it in a week or so.

Something else. Even with the RKR I have to tab down pretty hard to keep the boat from porpoising and have to keep the trim at one or two bars when cruising from 3000-4000 rpm. Is that what you guys see too?

You said you had a porpoise problem with the PT RAS 3 also you may need to install a neg wedge between your transom and motor that should correct most of the porpoise at  mid range  .  Looks like you picked up 1.5 MPH with the switch from the RAS 3 to the RKR . That's a step in the right direction , Sounds like you have a prop guy that will work with you . Don't be afraid to try diff things ask him what he thinks about installing a neg wedge and stabilizer plate to help balance the set up your running. Don't give up let us know how the tempest prop rides . Good luck. Joe R

I got to run the RAS3 21p again yesterday over about 75 miles in different conditions. This time with the engine in the second hole rather than the first. It was like night and day. I think that was the majority of my problems. While it definitely does not have the lift needed at high speeds it actually performed better overall than the RKR3 23p. Same 56ish mph top speed at 58-5900 but less slip in turns.

Also, now that I've been able to do some extended cruising I've been able to take note of the real economy that will only get better as I dial it in. 6mpg at 30ish mph and 5.2-4.8mpg from 35-50mph. Essentially, there is no fuel penalty for cruising at 48-50 mph as opposed to 35. That's exactly what I was looking for in the other 115 vs 150 thread. I'm ecstatic with almost 5mpg at 50mph. I ran about 75 miles yesterday and burned right about 15 gallons. Most of that was moving between 40 and 50 mph. That's just not going to happen with the 115.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update. It's been raining like Noahs flood here so the 22" Tempest Plus has been sitting in my back seat for a week. I got to run it yesterday on an afternoon bass run. Two guys totaling 425# on the back seat and a full live well with about 15 bass in it. Tons of bow lift and 56 mph at 6100 rpm. The exact same load gave me 54 mph at 5700 with the 21" RAS last weekend while I was able to get 58 with just me with the RAS light. The Tempest was rock solid at high speed compared to the RAS and RKR even while having enough lift to get the entire chine out of the water. 

I'm looking for a 24" Tempest to try for everyday use and will keep the 22" for heavy trips. If you haven't tried a Tempest you should. Ask around your bass boat friends. A lot of 18ft boats with 150's run the 22-24" Tempest and you can get a Flo Torque hub to try it for like $25.

• 5 months later...

Be safe you speed demons!! }:| 

The 18HPX w/F150 transom sits 2" further in the water than my boat at rest, even with a TM. Reminds me of a squatty old Redfisher but prettier.

From my observation over the years on this forum, nobody has the performance of their boat as dialed-in as dabear. I've always taken notes, thanks Joe R!

On 2/25/2017 at 7:54 AM, Bigbendmav said:

I'm running a 22p and 23p tempest . Depends on the load but I'm getting 60 mph easy when the fuel is half tank.  Motor is all the way down on bottom bolt hole. 22p runs 56 no matter the weight. 

image.jpeg

Those tempests will run better on the second hole. I get 58-60 with my 22 and 60-62 with my 24. I need to find me a 23. 

• 4 weeks later...

Im sure this is an ignorant question, but when yall talk about the first and second hole I assume your talking about the mounting holes that have the large through bolts. Do you get your mechanic to change this for you? I am about to get a new prop for my 16' 18hpx with a 150. I am leaning toward the tempest 24p but am curious if anyone has tried the 23p tempest.

First hole is the top hole or where the engine is deepest in the water. Second is the next one and so on.

As for moving the engine, I use use the trailer jack and a block of wood. You jack the bow all the way down, then trim the engine down to straight vertical. Then place a block of wood below the keg to protect it from the concrete. Then I totally remove the top bolts and loosen the bottom bolts. Then when you jack the bow back up the transom will move down in relation to the engine that is sitting on the block of wood. When everything lines up in the holes you want stick the bolts back in with some silicone and tighten to 40# of torque. This is not as tight as you think it is but is the factory recommended torque. It doesn't need to be crazy tight because of the double nuts. As long as you don't totally remove the bottom bolts the engine can't fall off and you can move it wherever. 

Make sure to check your engine cover to platform clearance before buttoning everything back up. I can't go higher than the second hole with my F150 or it hits.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
23 hours ago, Royall Blue said:

Would lifting the motor one notch help eliminate the porpoising issue I am having? It currently sits at the deepest notch.

Yes it will help.  Can't say it will totally eliminate the issue, but it's a step in the right direction.  Do you have a trolling motor?  If so, where are the batteries located?