22TE tow vehicle

Waterman18

My 2015 Pathfinder tows the 2003 2200v Pathfinder just fine (no top, single axle aluminum). Tow mode helps. Not sure if the 05 TE adds enough weight to change that. Of course not as good as a Tahoe or Tundra. Just an FYI. 

An old boss of mine has one of the new Grand Cherokee Limited diesels. He has had a LOT of problems with it. 

Perhaps a Ford Explorer with the 3.5 or 3.5 Eco?

I tow my slightly smaller 1900V pathfinder with a Jeep Commander with 5.7L V8.   The Jeep handles it very well.   I am sure the newer Hemis are tuned and maybe better, but mine ole 2008 with 120K miles has never let me down,   My only complaint will be fuel milage.  I average 14 daily and when towing its around 11mpg.

Good Luck on your search!

16 hours ago, brew1891 said:

My 2015 Pathfinder tows the 2003 2200v Pathfinder just fine (no top, single axle aluminum). Tow mode helps. Not sure if the 05 TE adds enough weight to change that. Of course not as good as a Tahoe or Tundra. Just an FYI. 

An old boss of mine has one of the new Grand Cherokee Limited diesels. He has had a LOT of problems with it. 

Perhaps a Ford Explorer with the 3.5 or 3.5 Eco?

I've towed my 05 2200V TE with my wife's Ford Explorer 3.5L and it does just fine. 

Make sure you opt for the tow package as it increases its capacity from 2,000 to 5,000 pounds. 

I have a 2014 Jeep 4X4 Grand Cherokee! It has a factory 6200 Lb tow capacity with a full tow package which included the transmission cooling system...It pulls my 2200V Pathfinder (With a 225 VMAX HPDI  on a dual axel Ameritrailer) like a dream...The 2014 has an 8 speed electronic Automatic Transmission...And what is hard to believe is that it is the V6...It pulls the boat at 70+ MPH on the interstate and I feel very safe and relaxed...I have pulled the boat on trips over 300 miles and the Jeep is a pleasure to drive...I have had to make sudden lane changes and abrupt stops and never felt as if I was out of control...The suspension and power are fantastic...I can only imagine what the Deasil or V8  version can do! (Additionally, The Grand Cherokee has a fantastic short turning radius and I can put my Boat and Trailer in very tight spaces!) When not pulling the boat my wife uses the Jeep to drive to work and it gets good gas mileage along with the fact I feel she is safe in that vehicle!

MOD2

I am almost afraid to post this. I towed our TE with a Mercedes ML350 and just switched it out for an Audi Q7. I looked at Tahoe and the GMC and bought both the Mercedes and Audi cheaper than either of the GM offerings. Both towed well and I pulled the TE out at the Breezy with no sweat at almost low tide after the OT 2 years ago. The guys sitting around judging the event said "man, that thing can pull". Both are 4 wheel and the Audi is smoother than the Mercedes to tow with but gets less gas mileage. I have the boat and car at the Breezy now and it towed almost 40 miles in 94 degree weather with no problem. You might check out a new, used one.

Anyone know the actual tongue weight for this boat?

Towing my 2200v with a GMC Acadia (front wheel drive) and it does ok at 60 mph, but economy is around 14 mpg. Struggles a bit on hills, but no issues at the ramp. Looking at a Dodge Durango next time around, but I see the payload capacity is lower for the dodge than the gmc. Don't expect it to be a problem. I think the payload for the Durango is 1330 lbs. 

On 7/9/2016 at 5:55 AM, Bamaskeet said:

I'm very happy with my V8 4 Runner towing a 2200V.  While Toyota doesn't offer a V8 any longer, the new 4 Runners have a high torque 6 cylinder.

We use a 2010 Lexus GX460. Has the Tundra V8 and an impressive towing package. You can find a nice used one for a fair amount. It's basically a 4runner trail edition with a v8 in it. The center locking diff(a true one) makes this vehicle highly capable. Don't care for the front end of the newer ones, but it still gets the job done well.

Archived