T Top or no T Top

FunFlatsFishing

I have a TTop and absolutely love it. Wouldn't have a boat in south Florida without one. Actually, I did and quickly installed one. It's just makes for a more comfortable day(at least 10 degrees cooler in the shade). It doesn't interfere with the way I fish but my boat is 24'. You may give up some speed and the ability to get under a small bridge but in my opinion it's worth it.  You also get additional rod holders and a place for overhead and spreader lights.  

Looks are one thing, but functionality matters most imo.  I think one must consider how one uses the boat for the majority of the time.  I hate a t top because I fish inshore alot and cast.  Gets in the way, especially if one is on the back of the boat.  If I trolled alot or was a water taxi to the sandbar, then I would think differently.

Jp

T tops get in the way for me. I mainly fish inshore though and do alot of casting. I keep a beach umbrella in my boat though. There is absolutely no shade in the marsh in LA where I fish so when we get hot and wana take a break we just drop the umbrella in one of the center console rod holders and sit in the shade for a minute. 

23 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Have you looked at the Shade Blade? They have several sizes to choose from (mine is 7 x 11). You can remove the rear straps when fishing and the whole thing is removable and stores in a bag. Guaranteed to 50 mph.  http://www.tuuci.com/product/42/tuuci-shade-blade

What is the ballpark pricing on the Tuuci, I assume 1200-1700?

17 hours ago, Mogan Master said:

What is the ballpark pricing on the Tuuci, I assume 1200-1700?

Depends on the size and whether or not you have a local retailer. If no retailer within a reasonable distance, then you order direct from the factory in Miami and save some $. Mine was $2,400 delivered. I was quoted $1,900 for a 7 X 10 then you have to add delivery.

That's probably close to the price of a T-top, but I'm just not ready for anything permanent.  

To each their own, but I would not own a bay boat with a t-top.  

90% of the time I am on my boat, I am fishing for redfish, trout or tarpon. I almost exclusively use artificials and feel a t-top would be in the way of casting. This is especially true if you are fishing more than 2 people. You would be hard pressed to find to find a bay boat with a t-top fishing any of the serious inshore tournaments in my area.

I do have a removable bimini top. I use the bimini top on family trips to the sandbar and it provides more shade than a t-top.

I've got what is called a "K-Top," which some of the south Texas folks have used for years.  The surface area of the top is a bit smaller than the typical T-top (mostly just narrower), but it mounts into the console, not the floor.  So it doesn't disrupt your walk around space.  The console has to be thoroughly glassed in to make the K-top work, but to me it's the perfect compromise between a big T-top that can get in the way and something make-shift (like sticking an umbrella in a rod holder). 

On the Boat 2011.jpg

7 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

BFOQ :  that top looks nice !  are the support tubes bolted onto the console ?

Yes.  You can see in the picture that the forward support tube is bolted just below the windshield on both sides and the aft support tubes are bolted to the console just below the steering wheel.  The top has Velcro flaps that open up so rods can stick through the top and still fit in the rod holders mounted to the base of the console.

Installed custom made TTop on my 24TE. The top is extra wide going almost gunnel to  gunnel and extended front and back.  Great amount of shade and lost very little if any off my top end.  Had it slightly tilted down in the front, which at high speed running angle does not catch any air.  That is what ultimately impacts your top end!

PS: Love the top and my wife and dogs love me more for the shade I provided!!

256.JPG 

2 hours ago, The BFOQ said:

I've got what is called a "K-Top," which some of the south Texas folks have used for years.  The surface area of the top is a bit smaller than the typical T-top (mostly just narrower), but it mounts into the console, not the floor.  So it doesn't disrupt your walk around space.  The console has to be thoroughly glassed in to make the K-top work, but to me it's the perfect compromise between a big T-top that can get in the way and something make-shift (like sticking an umbrella in a rod holder). 

On the Boat 2011.jpg

That's a nice looking top, especially for someone who is looking for a compromise.  

Where did you get that built?

25 minutes ago, Capt. Tyler said:

That's a nice looking top, especially for someone who is looking for a compromise.  

Where did you get that built?

The prior owner had the work done by Coastal Aluminum in Aransas Pass, TX.  She's been mine since 2010. 

3 hours ago, The BFOQ said:

On the Boat 2011.jpg

What modifications were made to the console? How does it do while towing the boat 65 mph down the highway?

The console was fully glassed into the deck, all the way around the bottom of the inside and additionally reinforced up the sides to the places where the tubing meets the console.  We don't have much reason to trailer it at high speed, but it made the 11-hour trip up from Aransas Pass, TX to Orange Beach, AL at regular interstate speeds without any issues.  I have expected that over time I might get more spider cracks around my console than boats of comparable age with floor mounted tops.  There are a few hairline spider cracks on the deck near the console, but based on what I've seen on other Pathys of similar age, I don't think I can attribute those to the K-top.  I've had no issues with the console mounts or K-top at all.  10 years later and all outdoor storage, I haven't even had a reason to replace the canvas yet...

Archived