Purina Fish Chow

Bubba B

I also asked this question on the SW Florida Owner's Tournament section....

It has been a while since I needed to buy it over near Pineisland, does anyone know where I can pick up some Purina Fish Chow (Powder) on the way to Pineisland?...I will be coming across Alligator Alley and North on I-75...I know some tackle places use to sell it in smaller portions so I would not need to purchase a 50 Lb bag...

Thanks in advance...

PS: If anyone attending the SW Florida Owner's Tournament that has extra and would sell me a gallon bag I would appreciate it!!

10 hours ago, Fishtails said:

Got this from another site.

PINE ISLAND FEED AND GARDEN CENTER ST.JAMES CITY 50 LB bag $29.90 phone 239 558-5042.

Thank you very much! I guess I will just have to figure will to store it for a couple of Days! LOL...My wife will kill me if I leave it in the SUV!! 9_9

10 hours ago, Capt. Tyler said:

They should have it.  Most feed stores around here carry it.  Look for 45% chum instead of 33%.  

It has more oil in it.  

Lots of bait around!  Unfortunately a lot of it is that small summer bait.  

Look around the 9-11 markers by Jug Creek.  

Thank you! That's the area I usually look for it...And I also try and get the higher oil content if its available! Thanks again everyone

Be careful if you store it in the bag inside your SUV....not only do fish like it....The ants do too....and they can smell it from 50 feet and get inside your car. They climb up tires and work there way in. Been there , done that....had to get a shop vac to get all of them out. 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Fishtails - Yes - I have used the Boca coast on a couple of occasions.  

I'm not a gimmick guy, so this is hard for me to say, but it seemed to outproduce both the fish food and Capt. Van's . . . Obviously there were variables I couldn't control, but on 6 straight days I alternated and tested . . . Day 1, Boca Coast, Day 2, Capt Van, Day 3, Purina with Menhaden oil . . . Repeat for 3 more days.

I caught bait all 6 days.  However, on both days with the BC stuff the bait seemed to ball up quicker, resulting in less throws.  I didn't notice any difference between the CV and Purina in results.

I realize there are other things at work - tide, weather, moon phase, etc - could have been a fluke, but I'd like to try it when there "doesn't seem to be any bait" . . . 

It's expensive, comparably, so I won't be using it during the "good bait" months, but when bait gets scarce I may try another bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived