2016 Scallop Trip Recommendations

CR has always treated us well and the area is beautiful. We go every year and easily take home our limit. Make sure you have all the safety gear including a good extinguisher. FWC always has a presence that time of year and they concentrate at the boat ramps but overall it's a must do trip and loads of fun.

Agree with all the above especially paying a few bucks to have someone clean the scallops.  I was hard headed and wanted to learn how myself.  I was decent at it by the time I got to the end of the bucket... and several beers later. We went last year for the first time and really enjoyed it.  Stayed at the Plantation Inn.  Next time, I plan to spend some time fishing the Ozello area.  Looks killer

We are set to go opening day this year. We go where the scallops are, but going out of crystal river, specifically petes pier, is nice because once we get our scallops we head into 3 sisters springs. If you are lucky it will pour rain and you have the springs to yourself, which is a cool experience. 

I highly recommend going to the springs after to cool off and specifically rinse off. We clean our own scallops, but depending on price and time we may have them cleaned this year. 

Watch the sunscreen on your back or wear a shirt!! Great way to get sunburned. 

For places to stay, plantation is great but probably booked, port hotel is common, as well as some place in kings bay I can't remember. But by far plantation is best. 

Stay in the channel in crystal river as you head to the scallop grounds! Once the channel ends then I head south, though you can jump it in a few places I'd rather run the whole thing and not lose my lower on a rock. 

If you are looking at going opening day shoot me a text so I know you are out there, and you can follow me out if you want, though it is an easy run as long as you look at your channel markers. 

Thanks for all of the advice guys, I really appreciate it!

Shane- Was hoping to go opening day but I will be out of town that weekend. I still need to see that sterling out on the water. Shoot me a text if you will be out in the bay this weekend and we could meet up. 

If anyone else has any tips or advice I am all ears! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived