Flamingo report, 5 October

Most guides avoid working on Saturdays if possible.... since it just means a lot more folks on the water than weekdays... Go long enough and you forget why you try not to work on Saturdays - then, when you do... it all comes back.  Most days in the back you hardly ever see another skiff - guess we're spoiled.  That day the big surprise is that almost all of the rigs I saw, well before dawn - were never anywhere near us, so not a problem at all...  No doubt - we're definitely spoiled, I'm guessing the cloud of mosquitoes at the ramp keeps the numbers down (at least compared to the ramps near Miami...

• Like 1

Given the situation in Everglades City / Chokoloskee from flooding previous hurricane and now Milton...I"m sure the "Park" will be seeing more boats....

EC / Choko will be struggling to recover AGAIN !!!

Let's pray it's not catastrophic, but, the tides will be high and the businesses will flood...

DC

On 10/8/2024 at 10:16 AM, lemaymiami said:

The joker in the deck is the Park itself since, if you even say the word "hurricane" they'll close the gates and lock down... Here's hoping it doesn't happen this time... 

just saw a notice Biscayne Nat park is closed?  What the heck?  Not even hurricane warning?

dc

I'll be sending out a message to all the folks that get my fishing reports later today about our situation down here (that we got lucky and were not damaged in any way - still open for business...).  Every time Florida gets hit with a hurricane, for months afterwards, bookings go down since those who are considering a trip this way will be getting all the bad news from the news media and not look past it...  A Florida fishing trip - maybe next year... for folks who've never come down here before.  Anyone that knows our state won't have that problem at all...

As for the Parks (both Biscayne and Everglades) the bureaucrats that run them will always react with great caution when hurricanes come anywhere near us...  If you fish out of Chokoloskee though - you're home free since it's on the edge of the ENP and they can't lock you out up there along the northern boundary of the Park if we're locked out.  As for Biscayne - that Park's northern boundary ends north of Stiltsville so you can still fish the bonefish flats near Key Biscayne, as well as everything south of the northern end of Key Largo... 

5 hours ago, lemaymiami said:

I'll be sending out a message to all the folks that get my fishing reports later today about our situation down here (that we got lucky and were not damaged in any way - still open for business...).  Every time Florida gets hit with a hurricane, for months afterwards, bookings go down since those who are considering a trip this way will be getting all the bad news from the news media and not look past it...  A Florida fishing trip - maybe next year... for folks who've never come down here before.  Anyone that knows our state won't have that problem at all...

As for the Parks (both Biscayne and Everglades) the bureaucrats that run them will always react with great caution when hurricanes come anywhere near us...  If you fish out of Chokoloskee though - you're home free since it's on the edge of the ENP and they can't lock you out up there along the northern boundary of the Park if we're locked out.  As for Biscayne - that Park's northern boundary ends north of Stiltsville so you can still fish the bonefish flats near Key Biscayne, as well as everything south of the northern end of Key Largo... 

you can always launch at Port of the Islands....and yes, enter the park from North End.

dc

Here are the places in the Ten Thousand Islands that you can still launch when the Park is locked down... Everglades City (the Rod & Gun Club, Glades Haven), Chokoloskee (two ramps there), Port of the Islands, and Goodland (two ramps there)...  When the Republicans are in office (the Trump years) they never locked us out - even when the Park was shut down they left the gates open so we could access the ramps... during the years when Democrats were in power they not only locked us out - they paid Rangers to patrol the waters to prevent anyone from fishing in Park waters... True 'dat... and wish it weren't so.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lemaymiami said:

Glades Haven

I used to launch there years ago and run through SandFly Pass......and I'd buy my shrimp from the guy who used to sleep in the VAN :)

another option is to LAUNCH at EC Bait and Tackle, they run around the back through the Barron River....it's about a 30 min idle to where you can jump on plane....I haven't done it yet, but, will consider in the negative lows....it's a nice ramp.   And you can sometimes get to see Alana the Bait Babe.....very pretty woman who owns the shop.