Flamingo Lodge Update & Trip Update

Just finished a guide trip to Flamingo and the clients wanted stay at the lodge...

So, I arrived on Wednesday night, got a small studio for Wed - Thursday - good rate $140 a night with military discount.

NOW, THE REALITY.....

It's not SET UP for multiple night stays....NO, YOU CANNOT RUN A POWER CORD FRO THE TROLLING MOTORS - they clearly state it's $250 fine to do so

First, you must park you boat, depending on the location of your room, of course mine was the farthest from the studio, about 150 yards away.

2nd, you have to drag all your rods and gear up and down the stairs or use the small cart - nice to have

I had to load and unload the boat for two days and with the mosquitos in the a.m. and then the heat in the PM, it was a challenge....food, tackle, GPS, etc. all taken off the boat....then, on the 2nd day, I had to load everything as I had to be out of the room by 12 pm....

NOW, INSTEAD OF THE VULTURES, THE CROWS ARE ATTACKING EVERYTHING ON THE BOATS.....I walked out after I parked the boat, and there were 20 crows on the deck, crapping everywhere :( and digging into anything on the deck....they found a Dorito bag in the garbage bucket and had a nice time....but, no damage :)

NOW THE GOOD NEWS....

Rooms super clean....

The restaurant was really good, full bar, great burgers and salads

Super friendly people

Great view of the sunset

ASSESSMENT....

If you are going down to fish a couple of days, and you and your buds or significant other, are light tackle, with a helper, not too bad....

But, be sure to have Charge on the run if you are using the TM all day.

FISHING REPORT....

Day one....tough day...out front was pure coco water, INGRAM canal, black coffee.

Made it to the Shark River and jumped 4 tarpon on ladyfish, live and dead.

Day two, decided to start in the back, fished river mouths and found snook, lady fish, a redfish...goliath, jacks, etc.

Headed to the SHARK RIVER and found some nice snook....then the client's 14/o son wanted to catch some sharks....Ha...easy peasy...

Landed two to  the boat  - medium bull shark or black tip...I'm not good with sharks.....BUT....the sharks....THEY ARE EVERYWHERE....we had live lady fish in the live well, and I am convinced the sharks are smelling them and just following the boat....they show NO FEAR AND COME RIGHT UP AS IF IT WAS A CHUM LINE.....in all my years of fishing Flamingo, I have't been there in many months, normally fish Chokoloskee, I've heard the stories, but, now I see the shark reality.

Some pics from the trip.....

IMG_3103.thumb.jpg.a38e7da565be69ea7a70651bca4a1805.jpg

IMG_3144.thumb.jpg.3d738e2ff1abd9b81024853ff63a3018.jpg

IMG_3178.thumb.jpg.135b364501908b6f5d61511d145b9afa.jpg

DC

• Like 3

• Wanaflatsfish changed the title to Flamingo Lodge Update & Trip Update
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, lemaymiami said:

Yes, there's a marina - but the lodge is about two blocks away... Use Google Earth to look it up and you'll see what I mean... 

Bob is correct....

The lodge offers a "Fishermans" package that will give you a slip at the Marina.  But, as Bob mentioned, it's a hike....no golf carts etc. to carry stuff from your vessel.

DC

The only real issue I have with both the Park and the concessionaire.... is the fact they never ask their guides about anything at all (and that's since 1996 in my case...).  Just think, we bring our clients to the Park year 'round, and when asked, let them know what the facilities, amenities, etc.  are that they can expect..  Maybe, just maybe,  we'd suggest some kind of dedicated transport from the marina to the motel for visiting boaters mooring at the marina.  Heck, if asked,  I'd have strongly suggested making sure every trailered rig have access to a charging station when staying at the motel, glamping sites, and / or the campground.  None of these small amenities would have great cost and might just bring them more customers... 

In short, I've never even been asked for the slightest input from the folks running things (with the exception of the long fought recommendations of how to restore the Park's facilities after hurricane Wilma nearly 20 years ago now).  And of course, the long meetings we all attended and argued over, the entire package that was submitted - was rejected by the National Park Service...  Thank heavens we finally did get a good concessionaire to run things at Flamingo.  All of the noticeable improvements in the Park have come from their efforts - but once again - without the slightest input from guides as a group (that I know of...).  Something to consider...

• Like 1