Converting 6ft power pole to 8ft

Whiskeytrain

Found out recently my 6ft power pole unit could be converted to 8ft by purchasing the 8 ft u-channels. I have an older stern bracket that fits the old 5/16 inch bolts. The new brackets use 3/8 inch bolts. Any tips on drilling out the holes on my current stern bracket (aluminum) to accommodate the 3/8inch bolts? Has anyone upgraded the u-channels on their units? I wasn’t considering buying a whole new power pole, but for the price of just the u-channels, I figured it was worth converting to 8ft. 

thanks for any advice

The u-channel on my 6’ broke and they mistakenly sent 8’ rails. I think I just switched the nylon sleeves out to the larger 3/8” size.  Never had to drill the mount or the top knuckle.  If you do have to drill, I would use a drill press to ensure you drill straight.  

Don’t forget to get the 8’ spike as well.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

No issue drilling in place as it was a retrofit kit to go from 5/16 to 3/8. Get that kit and replace all the bushings while you are at it.

The 5/16 bolt was a weak point for sure. Double check with PP to make sure the 6 foot piston will work.

Took me about an hour.

According to them, all is good and just need to bore out the stern bracket to accommodate the larger 3/8 bolt. I’d prefer not to drill, but I also do not want to buy a new stern bracket and have to rebolt and reseal with 5200