Stripped Screw Holes in Hatch Lid

DanAdams

Hello all,
Unfortunately, the center bow hatch lid (2008 Pathfinder 22 TE XL) has suffered some stripped screw holes. The four tap screws (2 holes each hinge shown on bottom of the second photo) that thread into the meat of the hatch lid are stripped and no longer bite the screw. Assuming the original screws were #8 size, apparently the previous owner threaded #10 screws with some 5200 in there and that has obviously failed.

So, I thought (for a minute) that I could run some #12’s in there but that is, at best, a temporary fix and I’m not sure the hinge plates will actually close on themselves with a two sized larger head than original.

I am looking for recommendations on a more durable, "done right", repair for this.

I have pondered drilling (to clean out the hole) and filling the holes with an epoxy resin and fiber mix (using a syringe) then drilling and tapping for #8's or #10's.

I am no professional, so I am open to thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Dan

20240726_162801.jpg

20240726_163121 (1).jpg

1721952870063.jpg

If there is room, and it looks like there is, I would clean and fill the holes as you said then redrill and use machine screws of the correct size and head type for the hinge with a washer and locking nut on the inside.

On the newer boats at least one of the three is nut and bolt.  Stainless of course,

20240726_200533.jpg

• Like 2

Im pretty sure there is nothing you can fill those holes with that will stand up to having most of that material removed when its redrilled to install screws / machine screws... its just to thin there.  Either take to a glass shop to have them redo those areas and add thickness to the inside lip to add more strength or glue some small thin PVC board or coosa board blocks to that inside lip that so the screws can work again.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 8:10 PM, jh141 said:

If there is room, and it looks like there is, I would clean and fill the holes as you said then redrill and use machine screws of the correct size and head type for the hinge with a washer and locking nut on the inside.

On the newer boats at least one of the three is nut and bolt.  Stainless of course,

20240726_200533.jpg

I agree that using a thru bolt with a washer and nut would be the best solution but, unfortunately, the area with the stripped hole has no room to drill thru the material. However, like you said, the third hole there (the lone one), is a thru hole and uses a nut and washer but its not enough on its own.
Thank you for the suggestion. 

2 hours ago, DanAdams said:

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm still doing research and have not yet done anything. I'll keep y'all posted on how it goes. 

My PF2200XL is a 2009 year and it also only has the one through bolt on each side, a few years back after noticing the self tapping screws backing out….i filled the holes with JB Weld and re installed the screws while it was “ setting up” and have had no problem since and the screws are still tight. Here is a pic of mine now, showing the one screw per side.

IMG_0434.jpeg

IMG_0435.jpeg

I repaired one stripped hatch screw by cleaning out the hole, making it slightly larger and filling with jb weld. I lubricated the screw (silicone spray I assume, can't remember) and inserted it in the jb weld when wet. The jb weld cured with the threads preformed. Screw was removable. This was on a single screw that was a small cable attached keeping my rod locker hatch from opening too far. 1/4 deep blind hole with a #8 machine screw. Has been good for about 10 years. Practice first on a scrap to see if it works in your situation.