Repowering - 2000 Hewes 18 Bayfisher

60hertz

The 2000 Yamaha 115 2 stroke is still running strong, but realistically nothing lasts forever. The fuel tank is also original, so it’s also going to give up the ghost soon as well.

I’m 90% certain I’ll stay with Yamaha, as every boat I’ve ever owned has had one and they’ve never left me stranded in the 35 years or so I’ve been running them.

I’d like to hear from other owners that replaced the Yamaha 115 2 stroke on their 18’ Bayfishers. 

My first choice is the Yamaha 115, but thinking of going to the SHO. On paper they look the same, but would appreciate someone who’s actually ran one to chime in.

Performance is secondary to reliability to me, as once everything is buttoned up I don’t want to have to redo anything again for a long time.

1 hour ago, livinloud11 said:

I have a regular F115 on my 2015 RF16 and I top out at about 43-44 WOT. Although I am happy with it, if I were to repower i'd go with the SHO 115 regardless. 

Interesting. The 115 2 stroke pushes my 18’ Bayfisher about 38-40 WOT (as reported by GPS). I would think a 115 4-stroke would push your 16’ Redfisher better than that. Maybe? 

4 hours ago, 60hertz said:

Interesting. The 115 2 stroke pushes my 18’ Bayfisher about 38-40 WOT (as reported by GPS). I would think a 115 4-stroke would push your 16’ Redfisher better than that. Maybe? 

The performance bulletin has an even slower top speed with the SHO model (which I dont think is quite exact). Im pretty much on the money, right about 5900 rpms and touching 43-44. The plane time is way off though, I can get onto a plane in like 3 seconds with trim tabs and I have a 3 blade prop.

https://yamahaoutboards.com/outboards/v-max-sho/v-max-in-line-4/vf115/pb_hws_redfisher-16_vf115la_10-7-21_flt

My 2000 18' bayfisher has original F115 (1st gen of 4 stroke for the 115) , I have a 17" pitch 3 blade and I have almost the same... approx 43/44 mph with 5800/5900... my plane is about the same 3 sec with no tab, with tab I feel like I'm one boat length and up by myself.  My cruise is 3600/3900 rpm's 28/30 mph and it sips fuel at cruise.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone’s input. Hopefully the 2 stroke makes it until Christmas, as fishing will peak around then in Pensacola.

Going to start gathering up a new tank, hoses, new trim tabs, and a new poling platform. Hopefully can get the work done between Christmas and March! 

Maybe after the refit, the old girl will be good for another 25 years.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The SHO is top notch and perfect for your boat. I put a 115SHO on my 18LT and it’s a few mph slower than my old 2 stroke 150 but I feel like the hole shot is better and midrange acceleration is definitely better, might have just been a tired 2 stroke, but I love the fuel efficiency, lack of smoke, and quiet running. Top end with the sho for me is about 44 with a standard load and full tank