Rod bunk/holders carpet re-do

Ok… I pulled the trigger and will pick up my new-to-me ‘91 Master Angler, tomorrow. I hope I can ask many questions now and in the future. 
My first question: How do I remove and replace the carpet in the under-gunnel rod area? 
And how do I “pad” the rod holders, if I don’t put in new carpet?

thanks for your help !

-Quinn

• Like 1

Quinn, I am in the process of exactly that project.  Send pics of your under gunnel area.  My rod holder screw in with 4 screws, but the older Mavs have glassed in holders.  Depending on what you have, the approach will be different.  One thing that will be the same is the extreme joy that lays ahead of you in removing the old glue! 

Here are some pics of my set up, let me know if yours is the same.  

IMG_6186.jpeg

IMG_6188.jpeg

IMG_6215.jpeg

12 hours ago, NE Saxitilis said:

Thank you !  I will look tomorrow, but I’m pretty sure they are glasses in as they are carpeted. 
What did you use to remove the old glue?

heat gun?

goo-gone ?

I will let you know what works best.  HoneyBs method may be best but I am going to try heat and solvents first.   I had a thread up asking this question and got some good suggestions. I will try to find and post it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2024 at 9:08 PM, NE Saxitilis said:

@whichwaysup THANK YOU !!

On 5/28/2024 at 7:02 PM, NE Saxitilis said:

Ok… I pulled the trigger and will pick up my new-to-me ‘91 Master Angler, tomorrow. I hope I can ask many questions now and in the future. 
My first question: How do I remove and replace the carpet in the under-gunnel rod area? 
And how do I “pad” the rod holders, if I don’t put in new carpet?

thanks for your help !

-Quinn

Quinn - I posted this in the "what did you do to your boat today" thread, but wanted to follow up - I just attacked the carpet glue on my boat - I used "Goof Off  Professional Strength" on my boat - it comes in an aerosol can.   Spray on and IMMEDIATELY wipe off with a terry cloth rag - it worked WONDERS - had the whole thing done in 30-45 min.  I ended up using a dual action polisher with a terry cloth bonnet - sprayed the stuff, hit it with the polisher, then went back and hit the stubborn spots with a metal scraper that was inside a terry cloth rag.   Super easy job - wish I'd attacked it sooner.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Quinn,

We owners of the older Mavericks have a special problem when it comes to rod holders.

I have a 96 Master Angler 17 and I have the same issues you have.  I've had this old boat for almost 25 years now.  She doesn't have many flaws except those dang rod holders.    Maverick did not do us any favors on building those rod holders into the structure of the cockpit and not glassing in the rod slots. I'm sure they were learning at the time too, so no hard feelings here. 

I removed the deteriorating carpet and goo a few years ago.  I "Goo-offed" and acetoned and sanded all the glue away.  I was left with some really big, bare white, rod  holding bohwemoths with bare foam exposed where the rods sit. Nope, no glass was ever installed in the rod pockets/slots of these molded in rod holders.  Just exposed foam flotation.  Maverick goofed on this one.

I have yet to figure out what to do with this mess.  I considered trying to glass over the  exposed foam to make something solid that carpet or sea deck can stick too, but I hate to make a fiberglass mess on my old boat.  I can lay fiberglass ok, but some of this layup will be upside down on old foam that fresh resin will NOT stick to.  I can see me grinding away at some sagging glass already.

If you find someone to help or come up with a good idea to remedy this design flaw, please let me know. 

If anybody out there has fixed this on their older Maverick, please fill NE Saxitillis and me in on the secret. 

Pictures would be wonderful.  I will try to post some pics of the rod holder design to give those not in the know a look.  These are NOT screw in rod holders we are talking about.

I've enjoyed the forums for as long as I've had the boat.  Most questions about these boats have already been asked and answered by some pretty well versed folks here. 

Keep up the good discussions and good luck NE Saxtillis.

Many thanks,

Hobby

• Like 3