Minnkota Quest Instinct on an 18HPX

Headhunter

Has anyone done this as yet?  Looking at the weight and the footprint compared to MinnKota’s earlier models I am a little scared so I can use some thoughts. The Quest is 60# heavier than the MotorGuide that is on the boat and 30 inches longer, 4 inches wider requiring a totally new install and shuttle slide. Is it worth the grief?

18 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

That's one of my issues is weight and throwing the balance off on the boat. It's over 100#.

yes, i have one and it's 92 lbs....according to Mike at Master Repair, it's not really designed for the smalled skiffs, more bay boats and offshore....that being said, it supposed to be 100% more reliable than previous version of the Ulterra.  time will tell.

The foot print is huge as well, I had to remove my bow cleat to make it fit.

See my post under Pathfinder or maybe general forum

DC

I can tell you about porposing on an 18hpx.i have the worst case, 150hp, twin power poles and a jackplate. The more weight forward you can get the less porposing.  I moved all the batteries up forward and did everything dabear told me about and today the boat runs on rails. I don’t want to screw that up. 

• Like 2