Pine Island fishing report

Red Zone

Water around St. James and Sanibel is still a little stained from the run off, but clear north of Blind P***. Redfish have been tough for months. probably a result of too many cold fronts and fresh water chasing most of the bait away. Snook everywhere, trout (bigger) hanging around, Tarpon: Locals back in the Sound from their winter haunts, Migration is just beginning. White bait working back into the Sound along with Macks, cobia and shark. Starting to get some near shore king reports and a few Permit on the wrecks. Redfish bite should be on with the coming full moon. P*** crabs should show with next weeks full moon.

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing has been great in the sound!!! A lot of big gator trout recently. We caught one last weekend that was 28". Pretty good smaller snook bite haven't found the big girls yet. Plenty of slot Redfish and even a few overslot! I found a pack last weekend and they were there again this weekend.

Bait has been decent. Not seeing any white bait on the surface. so make sure to bring some chum to bring them up off the flats.

Need to check the tides before committing. I think the end of April is crummy tides. Just went through crummy tides around April 15, so they are due to be bad again around the end of April.

But, during the crummy tides, we managed to limit out on Red-Fish almost every day and several Trout over 22". I've seen lots of rally large Snook and managed one keeper. No white bait, used cut bait on all.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2016 at 11:03 AM, Colorado Matt said:

The tarpon were thick around Pine Island prior to the storm front last week, then they vanished just in time tor the Ding-Darling tournament last Saturday.  50 boats and only 2 poons caught all day!  Brutal.  

Matt

They sure were thick inside and outside.

I was out in front in 10-25' water, i saw no tarpon caught or rolling. I caught a nice shark, then moved inside, nothing there either.. Tons of bait and water clarity has improved

immensely.

Archived