Lots of gags

Capt. Troy

The only part of the series I have seen must have been the prelude to the show. He was talking about how the rec angler was trying to steal money from the commercial fisherman and that the commercial guy does this for a living not for fun.

I would like to see some real numbers on how many charter boats had to close shop due to people not wanting to spend $1k for a boat ride, loss of tourism, tackle sales, boat sales, ect. All this while the few line their pockets. Also what about the small commercial angler trying to make a living, seem like he is getting pushed out too.

Not to add fuel to the fire but how does a charter captain have to obey the rec regulations while there are the big group charters that can take year round? Yes I know the have "special" permits but are they not a charter boat?

They are part of the head boat pilot program which is a prelude to IFQ for the charter boat head boat sector. That"s right, sector separation is here. That sector will have shares and the shares will then be taken out of the recreational TAC. Then the seasons and limits for REC fisherman will be even further reduced.

This also means I will have electronic reporting, a vessel monitoring system and will have to call NOAA before landing on every trip.

VMS will cost me 3000 bucks and 30 a month to monitor. }:(

Hurricane, the smaller commercial guys have to lease quota to survive. They did not get gifted enough shares to feed their families and many have sold off there shares to the big boys who will soon own all the fish.

Just hard to believe. Sorry if I derailed your post of a great day fishing.

No derail at all and maybe some of this should be posted in General.

The founder and owner of this forum and MHPC Scott Deal has stepped up in presence to address many of these issues.

It's a big battle and industry leaders must join in as they were not present in the past. We may be late to the fight but efforts like the Morris / Deal proposals are a step in the right direction. We need all the help we can get. The problem is that before things got this bad unity was like herding cats from the recreational side.

The unified commercial/ industrial types with big lobbyist money kicked our butt.

The real issue is the control of the resource. It needs to be removed from the department of Commerce to the department of Interior. The same folks that have allowed our wildlife to achieve levels of sustainability free from commercial harvest that belong to the Public.

The practices of the commercial hunting did not work out so well for the Buffalo,deer and birds of plumage did they. :confused:

Dang, here I go again. I got physically removed from a gulf counsel meeting when a sea lord referenced himself as a farmer of the Gulf of Mexico.

I simply asked what was it he planted and what property did he plant his seeds on.

That ? didn't work out so well for me. :o

You nailed it, I totally agree that's their thinking. Farmers of the ocean, however they are stealing from a farm they don't own. If they want to be farmers then they have to plant, but this case breed and release.

I really didn't understand their fight against the REC fisherman till I saw this show. I always understood they wanted more fish, but never knew the ownership they felt they had to the fish and how they want to take from me.

As I commonly say, EVERYTHING boils down to MONEY and POWER....everything.

I thought I was the only one that felt completely gipped and slapped right across my right cheek when I watched "Big Fish Texas" for the first time. After the episode where they go to the big council meeting to "testify" about their BS, and how us "evil" rec fisherman are trying to steal their money and take food from their family's mouths... I got downright disgusted. The worst part is, NON fisherman see this show and take their side as the gospel. Misinformation is dangerous.

Oh and Troy, I applaud and appreciate yours and many others (including Mr. Deals) efforts to inform and educate those of us that are out of the know on these rackets. Guys like you that are in it everyday are serving as the proverbial "tip of the spear" and it doesn't go unnoticed by me, and I'm sure, lot's of us here!

Archived