Lots of gags

Capt. Troy

Ran an offshore trip Thursday and we absolutely killed the Big gags. Sadly we released over 20 keepers. After wearing the guys out catch and release style I moved out to 74 feet water. Dang, 35 ARS later we pulled the hook again and went to 80 feet. More ARS and zero red grouper which is open now. }:(

Had close to a 100 fish day and almost ended up with clean ice if it wasn't for a couple of 35 lb AJ's.

Caught a half a dozen in this size range.

IMG_6316_zpsftphsxii.jpg

The one in the photo we did not weigh but I would say around 22 to 25 lbs. He was 35 and half inches.

We caught 4 that size and one was really fat as I was hand landing them and he was HEAVY, 25 plus when I picked him up.

I wish I would have taken a screen shot of the ARS. The stacks were 30 feet high off the bottom.

Didn't take a lot of picks as my phone was downstairs cause it was a little sporty out there and a lot going on ;)

Nice fish Troy how big was the big one? You going down south this year?

Ya red snapper law is doing wonders for Katies seafood only! Gov needs to get its head out of its colon! Slap in the face every time that show is on tv and he's bringing in 14k lbs of ARS. But yet we have 7-10 days to get 2.

If you guys haven't seen this show, don't watch it unless you really wanna get pissed. 15k lbs of Red Snapper per trip. Also I don't know this for certain, but I don't think they have a size limit.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayarea/business/article/Big-Fish-Texas-reality-TV-show-to-star-6785504.php#photo-7745614

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/big-fish-texas/

ARS commercial is 13 inches total length.

They are gifted approx 6 million pounds through the IFQ program. 49% of the TAC.

I believe that roughly 50% of the TAC is owned by just a very few entities.

Big Fish Texas Buddy was given 5 million dollars worth of this countries natural resource. He did not pay a dime for them and he has the right to due what ever he wants with his shares.

Many of the ones who were gifted major shares no longer fish. They just lease their shares and sit on the couch collecting a check. :susel:

Darn nice Grouper Capt. Maybe they will still be there in June.

Nope,

Those fish will not be there for many reasons.

The commercial day fisherman with gag quota will hammer these fish as they are closed to recreational and it reduces their fuel burn and time on the water.

When Gags open in July they will be way beyond the reach of many recreational anglers.

That's right fellas, the commercial day boats are killing their butt right now inside of 50 feet of water. " there are plenty of them"

When they open the season for the rest of you the fish are way offshore and once again the target of commercial fishing.

I recently watched a commercial boat unload 300 lbs of gag grouper. All caught inside of 50 feet of water. The same place I can't keep a single one. :confused:

After being involved since 2005 on the federal fishery level It just amazes me how convoluted and corrupt the system is.

I will let you guys in on a little fact.

The handful of people who were granted the most IFQ are the very ones that lead to over fishing the Stock to begin with.

Allocation was based on the historical landings in each fishery. So the ones that caught the most were rewarded the most. :confused: The real kicker is these high liners were employing the most detrimental practices such as long lining. The harvest method for bottom fish with the highest dead discard rates

The bandit, hook and line fisherman who used the least detrimental practice got so few shares they have to lease quota from the Kingpins of the Gulf.

Did I mention convoluted and corrupt.

Rant Over }:(

One other thing that makes me mad about that TV show. They talk like they care about conservation, as they winch up hundreds of pounds of fish. Have so many on hand, they can't store them all.

Maybe a show like this will bring some awareness to the world, showing the damage this type of fishing is doing.

Nope,

The commercial day fisherman with gag quota will hammer these fish as they are closed to recreational and it reduces their fuel burn and time on the water.

When Gags open in July they will be way beyond the reach of many recreational anglers.

That's right fellas, the commercial day boats are killing their butt right now inside of 50 feet of water. " there are plenty of them"

When they open the season for the rest of you the fish are way offshore and once again the target of commercial fishing.

I recently watched a commercial boat unload 300 lbs of gag grouper. All caught inside of 50 feet of water. The same place I can't keep a single one. :confused:

As a summer thing I was a deck hand on a day boat twice. First trip brought in 390 lbs, 2nd trip 320 and we caught a fair amount 15-17 miles out

Nope,

As a summer thing I was a deck hand on a day boat twice. First trip brought in 390 lbs, 2nd trip 320 and we caught a fair amount 15-17 miles out

Was recreational fishing open to those specie at the time?

I want to say the trips were the beginning of august. Mostly gags with some reds mixed in. Off of tarpon springs area

The reason for my post wasnt to prove you wrong or something, i was in agreement with how much commercial is allowed to take year round compared to recreational. It was just 3 of us those 2 days

I hear you.

You were fishing commercially under IFQ no matter what time of year. If the boat had quota you were perfectly legal. That quota was either gifted or leased. No other way to get it.

Hard pill to swallow for the average guy fishing with the seasons and limits as they are.

It certainly is not the best use of the resource from an economic perspective. :)

I hear you.

You were fishing commercially under IFQ no matter what time of year. If the boat had quota you were perfectly legal. That quota was either gifted or leased. No other way to get it.

Hard pill to swallow for the average guy fishing with the seasons and limits as they are.

It certainly is not the best use of the resource from an economic perspective. :)

You are correct! Boat operated under a quota

Holy sh!t.

I was just flicking through the channels, came across Episode 4 of Big Fish Texas. They go to the Gulf Coast Council meeting, to address amendment 28. According to the show 28 is to move fish quotas from commercial to recreation fisherman. These guys went there to fight against it. Their position is, the rec guys that can go out in the Gulf and fish these fish are a small group of wealthy people with large yachts. Since this is such a small group they don't need many fish. He says how can 1% of people be allowed to catch 50% of fish. WTF

This is such a lie, how can they say this? Do rec. guys not show up to make their case? I have caught Red Snapper in a 17 ft boat 5 miles off shore near Destin. I wish I had time to go up to this council and tell a story. First thing I would do is, show a picture of a days catch on a comm. boat vs a day catch on a rec. boat.

Archived