Evinrude E-Tec?

Drummer

Hello fellow flats boat fans, I am considering repowering my LT18 with an E-Tec 150. Anything I should consider? I really love 2 stroke power and would also love a little better fuel economy, and Evinrude seems to have a good product. So, I throw that out to users on the forum. Thanks.

I have a 250ho etec. Really happy I went that direction.

I went with the manual/mechanical throttle and gauges to keep costs down. Also got the 5gal oil tank.

I don't think you be sorry. I think all the manufacturers make good products. For me, the lighter and newer two stroke fit my needs giving the year of my hull. And the power of the 2 stroke is noticeable.

I've owned the 150 HO model and Merc 175 pro xs. Mercury hands down, better fuel economy and a stronger motor. Etec was quite and strong holeshot. The motor could never stay at a constant rpm cruise, would move 1000 rpm up and down. The fuel economy was not good at all. The optimax motors are very reliable and popular. In the earlier years of the optimax had problem like all new motors. Look at Yamaha issues too if you want to point out problems. I.E. F225-250's exhaust corrosion issues, f115 and f150's when the timing belt breaks the whole motor is basically trashed. Don't event get me started with the f350!!!

Good luck at repowering. I would do a Merc 175 pro xs as its the same block so weight is the same from 134-175 optimax.

If you insist on going for etec do the 150 HO model.

If you're changing brands and insist on a 2 stroke I'd go with an Optimax as well. Cheaper to buy and let's face it, you could let any 2 stroke (or 4 stroke for that matter) go for 300 hrs. before you mess with it. I believe people like us, who actually do or have done all the recommended scheduled maintenance are in the minority. Many people run boats until something breaks an then have it repaired.

I love 2-strokes because of the light weight and power.

I have always been a 2 stroke person but with these new 4-stroke the hp/lb gap between them is small if any. I am not saying one is better than the other but when spending that kind of money it might be worth it to look at everything out there.

My suggestion is to talk with people who actually own and use them; preferably in the same application you would use yours.

If you use Internet forums to get an opinion for a product, you will see all sorts of opinions. So much so that you won't want to buy anything. But the key is to talk with owners. I went back and forth from yam, merc to etec. Spoke on many folks who owned them. Interesting was that in almost all cases, if you owned a certain brand, it was the best thing out there and everyone had a handful a stories as why not to buy the others.

At the end of the day, they all work well and the all break and irritate us. I've be lucky.

Good luck on your search.

• Like 1

I owned a Bay Craft 185 flats boat for about a year. It had a E-tec 115. I felt that it was underpowered because it was a dog out of the hole. You should be fine with a 150. Otherwise I really like the motor. Much quieter than any other two stroke I've owned. Was decent on fuel but the best thing was how good they are on oil. I used XD100 as recomended. I bought a case when I purchased the boat and when I sold it I had three gallons left! It only used one gallon the entire year I owned it and I put 40+ hrs.on it.

• 3 years later...

I own an evinrude 90 HO (2017) The engine runs great on all speeds except idle under load.  It misfires about every 15 seconds. I also tried nonoxy gas and even and additive from yamaha called ring free.   This idle problem occurs even after I have run it for 3500 rpm.  How do I solve the problem.  Even had it to the shop and they just said run it harder. 

On August 7, 2019 at 10:49 AM, Hesser said:

I own an evinrude 90 HO (2017) The engine runs great on all speeds except idle under load.  It misfires about every 15 seconds. I also tried nonoxy gas and even and additive from yamaha called ring free.   This idle problem occurs even after I have run it for 3500 rpm.  How do I solve the problem.  Even had it to the shop and they just said run it harder. 

Mine had an idle problem. It would kill the motor every time I went to put it in gear. Had to rev it up and quickly slam it in gear or it would die. Found out the computer needed an update....problem solved.