Wiring Diagram, knew I should have taken pictures (BEFORE)

DavisIslander

I use the breaker as off on for the trolling motor.  I know you are not supposed to  use it as a switch but it is 24 volts and i want no confusion with switches.

If you want to use a battery as a backup on your diagram use battery #1. Connect its negative to your common ground and its positive to #2 on a 3 way switch

DAVISLANDER,

Skips diagram is the best and most practical battery set up for a boat with a 24 vdc trolling motor IMHO... 

One battery serves a dual function as both a cranking battery as well as part of the 24 vdc supply for the trolling motor....  I've been using this system for years and have never had even a hiccup...  The only suggestion I can add would be to rotate all the batteries about once a year and use matching size 27 or 31 AGM batteries... 

If you don't intend on upgrading to a three-bank charger (which would be the best option) you can always add just a single bank charger,,,,,  or swap one set of your existing charger leads between two batteries but this would get old quick...  If you don't want to manually switch charger leads from one to the other another option would be to use another separate battery selector switch on one of your dual charger leads  and switch from one battery to the other...  

• Like 1

FIN-ADDIC,

Hey my friend...  I don't really think you meant to write this statement...

The neg and pos from batt switch should go to the main fuse block if not mistaken

You do not have a negative lead on a battery selector switch... Nothing but positive leads connect to a battery selector switch...  Negative are not switched...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Hobo said:

DAVISLANDER,

If you don't intend on upgrading to a three-bank charger (which would be the best option) you can always add just a single bank charger,,,or swap one set of your existing charger leads between two batteries but this would get old quick...   

Thanks Hobo, I don't plan on changing to a three-bank charger.  Knock on wood, I've never had an issue with the motor charging the cranking battery.  I don't have a ton of electrical demands on this boat so I've never had any type of charger for the cranking battery; just the motor. The TM batteries are 37's and less than a year old.  

Correct Fin-Addic, nothing but Positives!

Slyshon s diagram is what i was saying.  

If you connect your charger to the two trolling batteries and put your switch to both you can charge all 3 batteries at once with some limitations.  Crank and #1 will be in parallel and share amp output of the one bank. Battery #2 will have its own bank and charge twice as fast.

17 hours ago, Hobo said:

FIN-ADDIC,

Hey my friend...  I don't really think you meant to write this statement...

You do not have a negative lead on a battery selector switch... Nothing but positive leads connect to a battery selector switch...  Negative are not switched...

Correct, I stand corrected. What was I thinking 🤦‍♂️.