HPDI vs 4-stroke

flatsfisher772

The HPDI are good engines, if you feed it clean fuel.  They will not tolerate old, dirty or water in the fuel.  The F150 is probably Yamaha’s best engine.  They run great and are a little strong for their hp rating.

There are many opinions regarding longevity.  My two cents is the HPDI is a 2000 hour engine and the F150 is a 4000 hour engine.

I have a 2200 TE with the 200 HPDI. I would not want anything smaller. With all of the livewell capacity of the tournament, I wouldn’t want a 4 cylinder on it. Maybe on a non tournament or if you never use the live wells or carry passengers. Also, some people don’t care how long it takes to plane or how fast it goes. 

On 1/20/2022 at 6:32 AM, Bamaskeet said:

The HPDI are good engines, if you feed it clean fuel.  They will not tolerate old, dirty or water in the fuel.  The F150 is probably Yamaha’s best engine.  They run great and are a little strong for their hp rating.

There are many opinions regarding longevity.  My two cents is the HPDI is a 2000 hour engine and the F150 is a 4000 hour engine.

x2....

I owned a F150 on my 2005 PF22...no T top and it ran great...top end 42-44 light load with a 4 blade.

Easy to do DIY maint.

Just be aware there is a "serious" 500-600 hr maintenance recommended that is about $600-700 (several years ago)...if I remember, it was the time belt.

I would seriously consider it depending on a mechanical review 

dc