1994 Offshore Yacht (Maverick Hull)

Southbound

Hey Everyone!

New to the forum and hopefully will be welcomed despite not technically owning a Maverick.  I just bout an Offshore Yacht Inc. 18 Flats Skiff with the intention of redoing this boat.  I knew that it was an older Maverick style hull with either a Hewes cap or the original Maverick Cap (Berg).  I found a passion with flats skiffs through my father in law and his Silver King.  While not entirely what I was looking for I wanted a project.  My intent is to create something very unique and custom over the next 24 months or as my budget allows.

Does anyone know much about these hulls?  Seems that they were built by Maverick from the 70's until 90's before being sold to Offshore.  While altered somewhat it seems as though the general concept has remained.  Chines have changed, Transom is different and one larger live well instead of two smaller, and some other minor things.  Any helpful conversation is appreciated and welcomed.  

I will post pictures soon. 

• Like 1

If it’s been abused, RUN! The entire boat is wood cored. Other than that it’s  technically a Maverick I had a buddy with one and it’s basically a an exact copy of a MA but with sponsons. My buddies ended up rotting out and he junked it. I seem to remember it being heavily built though.

Found out pretty quickly that the lower unit was fried. Cold compression on the motor was consistent and 90psi across the board. Also found two hatches that were rotted. All of that to say with some investigation led to most of the floor was rotted as well. Since then the floor is out, hatches, console, etc. 

443A3BDE-0F1F-471F-B829-3A3A1E4947DB.jpeg

D6BFB208-675A-4CCD-A743-DB7146DC1EAE.jpeg

13B92663-C2CD-40A9-BAC7-B983377E4458.jpeg

91D2978C-415D-489D-BC19-085B6DF0469E.jpeg

6BC236BE-DBC5-4796-BD51-280BB8F6D8D6.jpeg

62585C80-1865-432A-AF6E-9CC377F542FF.jpeg

77C6C610-61A7-4B8C-9907-FAF2BD04618B.jpeg

F38704DA-CE85-4AE8-94D9-21A0131FF5B5.jpeg

FF87D03F-80E4-4A6E-93BC-7B94DE01A5D8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Southbound said:

Yes, I did. Familiar with the boat?

I had to go to Tampa for work and went and looked at it. That kid didn’t know anything about. Didn’t know how much fuel it held said there was no soft spots the deck is rotten it was full of water , motor wouldn’t run full throttle, had a hardcore list.. I noped out of there so fast. But if you’re completely stripping it down it’s going to be a sweet boat. If it was me I’d separate the cap and liner and replace all the wood core in the boat.

To do it right  make a cradle to support the hull and maintain its shape and prevent a warp/ hook in the keel. Remove the cap. You are lucky  here as most of the  older ones are just screwed together. Gut it down to the skin and rebuild. The closest  any wood should  get is the cradle. 

Be prepared for setbacks and time.

Money  will flow but you should  be doing  this for yourself not as a  money  making  project. 

37 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

To do it right  make a cradle to support the hull and maintain its shape and prevent a warp/ hook in the keel. Remove the cap. You are lucky  here as most of the  older ones are just screwed together. Gut it down to the skin and rebuild. The closest  any wood should  get is the cradle. 

Be prepared for setbacks and time.

Money  will flow but you should  be doing  this for yourself not as a  money  making  project. 

I want to bring new life to an old boat. My cap on spending with the vessel is 15 in total. I paid 5k for everything so there’s some money left to get it in shape. Or so I think. 

A little update. Floor is out and all rotting wood is being eradicated. 60lb board going back in. Stringers have been found to be in good shape along with transom so holding off on a “cap off” for now. Looking for a new poling platform and casting platform. Console being reshaped a bit and getting smooth. A long way to go but progress is being made. I need to get a smaller wheel. If anyone has leads on an affordable console control that looks nice and isn’t 800 dollars that’d be great. 

We’re deciding if the boat will be coral colored, sea foam, or black. Deck will remain white. 

80D6B5C0-BE33-4042-8DEC-E86BDEFDAE52.jpeg

1ED19A5F-0784-4282-9369-00867D5C2EA2.jpeg

A4BA2B75-3200-4E97-A733-E44D2C49B308.jpeg

BE90FB8C-46C3-4D9E-B66D-1421E42E65ED.jpeg

0BD46065-A776-4A41-961F-5A5BAF79B2DE.jpeg

8329298F-90CB-42D0-8A75-D2A44D4C0EB3.jpeg

866BBC72-F816-46DA-82AF-0BE2E13DCC1E.jpeg

FF7ECE26-243A-4D29-B711-275E80E9FC9E.jpeg

877C9980-9F9D-409B-AE08-5D6A46DAF805.jpeg

• Like 2

I swear I’m not being a negative Nelly you’re definitely going to have that ole girl looking good but check the stringers at that hatch in the deck in front of the console. Port side, I think that stringer was rotten up there there’s a limber hole in the stringer and I think the glass was soft around it. Don’t want to put a new floor down and then bad stringers rear their ugly heads. Please keep posting pictures I’m stoked to see how this turns out.

side note: this would have been a perfect hull to splash for a modern master angler.

50 minutes ago, Wardolb said:

I swear I’m not being a negative Nelly you’re definitely going to have that ole girl looking good but check the stringers at that hatch in the deck in front of the console. Port side, I think that stringer was rotten up there there’s a limber hole in the stringer and I think the glass was soft around it. Don’t want to put a new floor down and then bad stringers rear their ugly heads. Please keep posting pictures I’m stoked to see how this turns out.

side note: this would have been a perfect hull to splash for a modern master angler.

Stringers seem good. Unless you’re talking forward of the gas tank everything seems sound. With that being said I will be planning a full deck off restoration for stringers and transom at some point. When we purchased the boat it was either going to be a quick sale to get our money out or commitment. At this point we’ve committed. I’m still in this boat for less that 7k. I feel if it went south I could recoup losses. Hopefully. 

Were there any other items you noticed that I may have not mentioned?  I’d love for the surprises to end. Not that most wasn’t expected but I’d rather check in this stage. Thanks for your input along the way. 

I have a console with the forward seat off of a late 90's Redfisher. It's sitting on my back porch. Located in North Port, let me know if you want it.

Shoot didn't see the qualifying word "control" haha. If you need the throttle/control I have one of those also for a Yamaha.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Southbound said:

Stringers seem good. Unless you’re talking forward of the gas tank everything seems sound. With that being said I will be planning a full deck off restoration for stringers and transom at some point. When we purchased the boat it was either going to be a quick sale to get our money out or commitment. At this point we’ve committed. I’m still in this boat for less that 7k. I feel if it went south I could recoup losses. Hopefully. 

Were there any other items you noticed that I may have not mentioned?  I’d love for the surprises to end. Not that most wasn’t expected but I’d rather check in this stage. Thanks for your input along the way. 

Man thats really all I got for you. Did he have the engine issue fixed where it wouldn’t hit WOT?

6 hours ago, Southbound said:

Not at this time. Tank is in really good condition best I can tell. 

you are making a big mistake....sorry to be blunt...with all you are doing, change it out....my 1995 MA17 was ready to leak with pinholes forming.

your call...but,if it was me...I'd change it out.

go look for my thread- Holy Ghost rebuild...

aluminum tanks don't last more than 20 years...google it !!!

dc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1