Jack plate and prop recommendation?

Kspaid107

I have a 2004 2200V with the 150 Yamaha and looking to add a jack plate.  Which brand do you guys prefer?  I was looking at Bob's but open to opinions. 

Also going to need a new prop as I have a Reliance 19-M 13 3/4.  Not happy with it but was on boat when I bought and haven't messed with it since I planned on getting the jack plate.  I see a lot of people go for the Powertech OFX4.  Any 4 blade options that can kinda save top end?  I fish tournaments so speed is nice to have still.  See around 51mph around 5300rpm.

Most people run a OFX4X17 on a 2200.  It will give you a good hole shot and reduce porpoising.  
Your top end is excellent with the prop you are running.  I could only get 43 mph out of the OFX4.   I also had a cavitation issue when I put a jackplate on my 2200, I finally  added some wedges to fix the problem.

If I was going to install a jack plate on a 2200V, I would get a Bob's 4″ Setback Action Series and mount it on a CMC 2-1/2" Static Set Back Plate bolted to the transom at the lowest height (offset).  You'd have a total of 6.5" of setback and the prop would stay hooked up better in turns and at top speed (trimmed).

The OFX4 prop is well-liked by PF owners on this forum, for great grip and stern lift.  However it is known to be slower on the speed side of things.  If you want the best speeds and grip at elevated motor height, you need a 4-blade with high rake and extra cup in a smaller diameter.  I would ask the folks at PowerTech what they think about these as a possibility for your setup:

PTC4 in 17 or 18 pitch

SFS4 in 17 pitch

TRO4 in 18 pitch

RKR4 in 17 pitch

29 minutes ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

I'm running a PowerTech PTR4 on my 140 Suzuki. I don't know if they make that model in the gear case size you need, but it's been great prop with lots of grip in turns. 

Looks like the PowerTech PTZ4 has about the same geometry, but made for the larger gearcase.  The PTC4 is the same prop with more cup added.  So you could get away with more pitch with the PTZ (maybe 18 pitch), where as the PTC might have to be a 17 pitch.

5 hours ago, geeviam said:

If I was going to install a jack plate on a 2200V, I would get a Bob's 4″ Setback Action Series and mount it on a CMC 2-1/2" Static Set Back Plate bolted to the transom at the lowest height (offset).  You'd have a total of 6.5" of setback and the prop would stay hooked up better in turns and at top speed (trimmed).

The OFX4 prop is well-liked by PF owners on this forum, for great grip and stern lift.  However it is known to be slower on the speed side of things.  If you want the best speeds and grip at elevated motor height, you need a 4-blade with high rake and extra cup in a smaller diameter.  I would ask the folks at PowerTech what they think about these as a possibility for your setup:

PTC4 in 17 or 18 pitch

SFS4 in 17 pitch

TRO4 in 18 pitch

RKR4 in 17 pitch

Thanks for the info.  I talked to a local prop shop yesterday and they said they have a lot of props they could lend out to see what works once the jack plate is on but I'll definitely give PowerTech a call too and see if they don't recommend something that I can get locally. 

What would the difference be if I just got a 6 inch setback jack plate compared to the 2 1/2 static and 4 inch jack plate?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kspaid107 said:

What would the difference be if I just got a 6 inch setback jack plate compared to the 2 1/2 static and 4 inch jack plate?

A 6" Bob's plate will raise your motor height about 1.5" or more above what it is now.  Using the 2.5" static with a 4" JP allows you to cut that motor height increase in half to 3/4".  It made a difference on my boat when I installed an Atlas JP and I had too much prop slip because of the increased motor height.  My thinking is it's more of an advantage to mount the JP lower on the transom, because it gives you more usable adjustment since there is 5" of upward travel built into the JP anyway.  My Redfisher 16 was faster than any other with the same power because it had such low prop slip numbers.  And I ended up running a cupped 3-blade with high rake as my best all around prop.  I had a nice 4-blade too, and it was great out of hole - but that was it.  The 3-blade with vent ports jumped up on plane quickly, was 4 mph faster, and got better gas mileage.  Here's a picture of my Redfisher with the 4" Atlas mounted on the 2.5 static setback.  I actually drilled another set of holes in the 2.5" static and lowered the JP another 3/4", just to have that extra adjustment when needed.  It worked well for me:

0607171723bb.jpg

0806201852c.jpg