2006 pathfinder 2000 batteries

kcros11

I bought this boat a little over a year ago.  Since I've added a 24" volt minn kota and installed the 2  batteries under the center console I'm having a hard time keeping the nose of the boat down.  If I'm by myself the boat runs level and the tabs control the boat like they should.  I've noticed recently that if I have someone with me and I fill one of the live wells I have to keep the tabs all the way down to keep the boat from porpoising.  If I hit any chop or waves I have to slow to stop the porpoising.  I'm planning on moving the batteries around and was wondering if anyone has any experience or advices on the batteries position.

Currently I have 2 house batteries under the starboard stern hatch.  The 2 troll motor batteries and charger are under the center console.   Should I:

move the house batteries under the center console with the troll motor batteries?

move the house batteries under the front bow hatch?

move the troll motor batteries and charger under the bow hatch?

I would prefer to put all 4 batteries under the center console so I don't loose storage up front, but I'm not sure if that will be enough weight transferred.  The front hatch does get a little wetter than under the center console too.  Is there anything I'm missing?  Thanks in advance for the advice.

KC

The boats in the shop now so I can't check the prop size, but it's 3 blade on a 2010 150 yamaha 4 stroke.  RPM's normally run a little higher than my mph.  If I'm running 28 mph I'm normally running 3200-3400 rpms etc.  If I remember correctly the boat tops out in the mid 40's running 5500-5600rpms.

One thing that's different than any other boat I've owned is that trimming the motor up while running does not effect the ride of the boat at all, until you trim it enough that it cavitates.  When I'm by myself with no livewells loaded the boat is very responsive to the tabs though.  I can lift the bow while running and lower it when I get it rough chop using very little tab.  However when someone is with me and I fill a livewell I can not get the bow of the boat down.  I'm also getting more water in through the rear scupper when anchored than I think I should.  That's why I was thinking I needed to move batteries to the front.  

9 minutes ago, FINCHASER said:

Th 20s where known to want to porpoise... the tried and true prop for these is the powertech SCE 4..... in 19" pitch I believe.  Its a stern lifting prop and will correct your issue.  I had a 20 and ran that prop on it with no issue.  

I have the same prop on my 20.  Most of the time it behaves but will porpoise occasionally.  All my batteries(3) are in the console.

KC, I would suggest moving your house batteries to the console.  It may not solve your issue completely but I think it would help.

2 hours ago, skeetman68 said:

I have the same prop on my 20.  Most of the time it behaves but will porpoise occasionally.  All my batteries(3) are in the console.

KC, I would suggest moving your house batteries to the console.  It may not solve your issue completely but I think it would help.

nearly any boat will porpoise under the right conditions.... trimming the motor to far out is the main cause, many people dont seem to know what neutral trim is and trim the motor out to far virtually guaranteeing itll porpoise esp at low speeds

• Like 1

I just went and check on the boat with the mechanic.  He fishes the same year and model pathfinder with his buddy a lot and he suggested raising the motor up 1 position since it is mounted as low as it can go right now.  If that doesn't help at all I'll look into getting a powertech SCE 4.  I think next year I'm going to get the boat rewired and move the house batteries under the center console too.  Thanks for all the help. 

• 1 month later...

I'm really late to this game and not sure if you've already made a move but I'm with the other folks in moving all batteries to the CC (2006 2000V).  I'm running my 36v TM batteries and the House out of the CC (4 Batteries).  Not much room for anything else in there but it has helped with weight.  I still have to use some tabs from time to time.  Not a huge issue for me.  I did have Marcus help dial my prop in.  There may be some fine tuning still available but for my use I'm just not that picky.