St. Pete/Fort DeSoto

Robdog103

Hello everyone, 

I am a Dade-County local but will be heading up to Fort DeSoto campground in mid-December. I have been trying to find some decent fishing reports for that area but haven't found anything trustworthy. Anyone knows what is usually biting around the St. Petersburg area during December?

I'll be taking my 24 tournament and a couple of kayaks so nothing will be out of reach. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update: ended up taking the boat for no reason.

Super super windy while I was there. Went to Egmont key out of the fort de soto ramp but only fished for about half an hour, I attempted to go to the skyway but the wind was directly from the west and waters were extremely rough for me. I ended up fishing out of the kayaks from the fort de soto campground, caught 2 slot snooks one evening, a 21 inch trout the next morning right from shore and then again from the kayaks in the afternoon caught 4 sheepshead in an hour. Not even going to count the endless ladies and jacks. 

Very fishy area I will probably be visiting again. The snook look plentiful around mullet key as I saw several schools of healthy fish.

• Like 2