New Bern, North Carolina Information

Ron in Atlanta

5 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

Any reason you aren't looking in the coastal Georgia area?

That is a very good question.  We spend lots of time down there from Savannah to Cumberland Island and love the Georgia Coast.  Georgia has a significant percentage of the coastal marshland on the East Coast of the US which makes for great photography.

I think we just want to go more North to a more temperate climate and perhaps a more temperate political climate as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, smilemaker said:

Another option would be  McClellanville, SC.

Small town with a lot of opportunities for gorgeous photography.

Easy to get to Charleston but far enough to be out of the way

Only downside is a reputation of older liberal hippie residents. 

That would be perfect for Ron, he’s a free spirit, it would be like ...Asheville NC on the water....

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2021 at 9:01 PM, smilemaker said:

Only downside is a reputation of older liberal hippie residents. 

I may be older than you, I grew up in the 60's.  When I hear the word "hippies", I think of a beautiful girl with long (natural) blond hair with flowers in her hair, not wearing a bra and most likely, no panties as well.

I am definitely going to have to check out McClellanville, thanks for the recommendation! 

Did I mention, believes in "free love" as well.  SC, here I come!

I lived in New Bern back in the late 90s. Loved the area (an endless amount of water frontage) and still have friends there. I was poorer back then and did not have a boat. Definitely a place to consider. 

McClellanville  is pretty cool too if more remote is okay and fishing is your only hobby. Never lived there but fished it many times when I had a short work stint in Summerville, SC.

Roanoke Island (Manteo) is very cool as well and may well end up there before it is all said and done. I lived here back in 1985. I met my wife and have many found memories and friends there.

I have lived in Grandy, NC for most of the last 20+ years. My home is at the Carolina Club which surrounds a golf course and has a small marina with direct access to the ICW. Fishing is good; bass, striper, puppy drum, trout and flounder within easy reach. If we want true coastal fishing it is a 45 minute boat ride or about the same trailering wise away. Hospital care, on a large scale, is 50 minutes away in SE VA with smaller hospitals within 30 minutes. A 1000+- yards of my home we have; Food Lion, ABC store, several fast food choices, Ace Hardware, auto parts and a handful of local places to eat out. Top shelf eateries are only 20 minutes away on the OBX. Is Grandy fancy? Nope. I once told my wife, after a trip to Food Lion, that I never thought I would live somewhere that I would be one of the beautiful people. Also within that 1000 yards are some sketch homes and people that have made many poor decisions in their lives.  A home on the golf course can be had starting around $400k and half acre lots go for $60k+-. Taxes run $1600/year and dues are currently $1075. The closest major airport is an hour away in Norfolk, VA. Check the area out on Google Maps. I am not a realtor so I am telling the full story as best I can.

Good luck in your search. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, redzone1 said:

What more do you want??

Skip,  

What I want, is this dialogue about moving to a nice, coastal community to not deteriorate into a political discussion.  Please note that in my earlier post, I suggested that I wanted to move to an area with a, "more temperate climate and perhaps a more temperate political climate as well".  That did not imply either red nor blue.

I do love the Georgia Coast and have been everywhere.  I volunteer every month with the Dolphin researchers at Savannah State University photographing our wild Bottle Nose Dolphins - we cover the entire coast.  Been to your neighborhood as well, 

1208858492_FlaMay2011-61.thumb.jpg.0bf8d5b3db510cc19c029a12551c327f.jpg

476512630_FlaMay2011-58.thumb.jpg.9957f57788084970d6c5bb59330f9ed4.jpg

805732265_FlaMay2011-57.thumb.jpg.9e7ee4961d1da8c00b656d13d691d97d.jpg

I believe that these are some of your neighbors on Cumberland Island🙂.

Ron,

I fish the New Bern area a lot, meaning the Neuse River and Pamlico.  If your all about inshore fishing it’s a great area, trout, drum, flounder.  If your looking for a place to settle down there are other quite towns all up and down the Neuse so don’t limit yourself to New Bern.  If you have any questions let me know.  I’ll post some pics of some trips on the Neuse. 

• 1 month later...

dang, I missed this post when it came out.   Ron, you are getting on towards my neck of the woods.   Snow, I didn't know you were in the New Bern area.   I'm in WIlmington, but when I "grow up" I want to move to the Pamlico sound.   Fell in love w/ the Bay river, Pamlico, and Neuse and have said often that I would put it up against just about any other fishery out there, but there's a LOT of water, and 90% of the fish will be in 10% of the water. . .   But the fishing is spectacular year round and very seasonal.  Just about the time you get tired of one season, the next one starts.

New Bern is a nice town and has a really nice little downtown on the water.   The author Nicholas Sparks has done a lot for New Bern from what I understand.  Oriental is also pretty nice on the other side of the river.   Snow was right, though - there are many small and smaller towns in that area worth looking at.    The area is still pretty rustic and heavy farmland, so if you want to get away from it all, it's great.  If you want more city life, it's probably not a great fit.

18 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Ron, you are getting on towards my neck of the woods.

Whichway,

Thanks for the information about the area surrounding New Bern, NC.

First, I have a confession to make.  I am undoubtedly the only Pathfinder owner in the United States that does not fish.  Yes I know, that is sacrilege and most likely against the law in Florida.  I use the boat as a platform for wildlife photography and as a way to get to remote locations where there are no signs of human existence, where shore birds are plentiful and bikini tops are optional.

342054617_FlaExpedition-29.thumb.jpeg.5d3bde13b4e6cf9b861c6320090e55b8.jpeg

886602161_FloridaDec2012-39(1).thumb.jpeg.bd3ba1a4d7dea6e463d54146fdff974f.jpeg

1568464494_FloridaDec2015-31.thumb.jpeg.9984e9b782229cc34636c92d15a0efa5.jpeg

Plus, the boat stays very clean...

287349037_LowResMissLaurieIV-3.thumb.jpg.d3131968dbd0162c4a6243e939137fc4.jpg

Having said all that, I have spent an entire life out on salt water when ever possible.  I only moved to Atlanta for a great job but now that I am retired, it is time to move back to the Coast.

Florida is a little too weird plus the ratio of GOOD doctors to old people is poor.  Georgia Coast, very nice but we've seen it all already. North Carolina seems like the perfect place, lots of coastline, lot's of salt water and maybe not as overcrowded as South Florida.

We used to drive down to Pamlico Sound from Connecticut every Spring to go wind surfing

861742375_OldPhotos-1.thumb.jpg.abab64adda4afe46d4c11de0528fb92e.jpg

One of the best windsurfing spots in the Country.  So, rustic, small town, farmland, get away from it all - yes to all of these.

From your description, New Bern and the surrounding towns sound like just what we are looking for.

• Like 1

Ron - the photography opportunities are pretty spectacular there, and a Pathfinder is about the perfect boat for that area.   90% of the water is 4-8 feet deep, and you generally don't have to worry about running aground, random sand or oyster bars, etc.   That sound can stand up in a hurry and get nasty, but a 22 pathy is well matched for it.   The wind ALWAYS blows there - mornings can be calm, but the wind machine gets cranking around 11 every day.    There are so many creeks, back bays, shorelines that if you spent the rest of your life there and took pics every day, you would never run out of shoreline.   

If you visit, let me know what you thought.   

Have a place in Oriental NC, about 30 minutes from New Bern. The area is interesting, decent amount of live music and events. There is more going on in the town of Oriental, pop <1,000, than where we live near Raleigh. Oriental is the sailing capital of NC, over 3,000 sailboats there and is a well known stop for cruisers and loopers on the intracoastal. Check out River Dunes marina and development. The developments on the Trent River in New Bern are nice, have considered selling both the houses we have now and moving there.

There are kite boarders and a few sail boarders around. Overall the area is nice mix of rural and small cities, New Bern has a decent sized hospital and Greenville is about an hour away, Raleigh is a little over 2 hrs. Look at Towndock.net for what is going on around Oriental and a little of New Bern happenings.

The Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Area and Lake Phelps have some serious birding, also nearby is one of the highest densities of black bears in North America. Wild horses down toward Shackleford Banks and the Rachel Carson Reserve.

• Like 1