Looking for Navico Product to run FMT

rubble

Had my hopes to upgrade my nav unit at the helm to a Simrad EVO but not sure I want to drop that into a unit that is primarily for navigation.  I could get by with a more affordable Lowrance that will run the FMT Charts.  Not too familiar with Lowrance.  I borrowed a buddy’s HDS a couple of times to run the FMT but need to bite the bullet and get one installed.  Any suggestions on best bang for the buck?

I switched from garmin a couple of yeas ago for FMT. Originally bought a 12 inch carbon for the the 22. It died in 12 months and navico replaced it with an HDS live under warranty. Huge difference between the 2 screen wise and construction. The HDS had it all over the carbon. Sold that boat. In the meantime switched out the garmin for a 9 inch lowrance TI-2 on the Maverick. I couldn’t justify the price point at that time. It’s just ok and I have trouble seeing the track In bright sun. Mean while the new to us pathfinder came with a 9 inch HDS live and again is night and day better than the TI-2. Bottom line HDS is the only way to go as far as I am concerned but I am now 73 so my sight is not as good as it used to be. The 9 inch HDS is going in the Maverick and a new 12 into the pathfinder. 
A couple of other comments. Navico customer service *** so make sure you buy from someone who knows the product. There are a couple Grus on this forum as well. Their warranty is interesting and if you have a failure you get a chance for an upgrade replacement but it’s a bitch getting someone on the phone that speaks good English so patience is a must. 

• Like 1

What Chuck said ☝️

I run the Lowrance Live 9" HDS and it is exceptional. You can search these threads and see some photos of it in action. Lowrance is Simrad. Same company. SImrad controls maybe just tailored to the offshore deepwater market perhaps and Lowrance the bass and shallow water crowd maybe. Certainly the bass folks like em. You may say its primary use is nav but once you run their 3 in 1 transducer and see the downscan and side scan images you will love those features too!   

I've run both the Simrad and Lowrance for the better part of the last 10 years. I've had just about every version of Lowrance and the latest HDS LIVE units are the best they have made. They are a lower profile design compared to previous versions and definitely look sleeker. I personally like the menus and feel of the Lowrance better than the Simrad, but that's probably because i'm just more familiar with it. The Simrad has always had the sexy factor... they are the sleekest, thinnest, flush mount capable unit that you can mount on a slick piece of black acrylic and get that showroom look that many of the high end builders want. I don't think you can go wrong with either unit, but my preference is the HDS LIVE and that's what I just purchased for my new boat. 

Josh B.

if you have the $$$$ and I mean $$$$ go SIMRAD...it's like Cadillac vs all others....I had a Simard EVO 2 which i then upgraded / traded to a Lowrance....can't remember the exact model..but, West Marine gave me full credit for about $1K and it runs great for what I need..

The SIMRAD HAS THE SPINNING WHEEL FOR IN/OUT VIEWING...LOWRANCE HAS THE PLUS / MINUS BUTTONS..

If U gots DA MO-knee....go SIMRAD....IF NOT, LOWRANCE HAS SOME VERY GOOD ALTERNATIVES ABOUT $2K LESS.

DC

x5 on the HDS Live.

Its give and take between sim and HDS on what tickles your fancy.... Sims knob as Dino said is handy for zooming in and out.  I too prefer HDS menu layout and Sim leaves you stuck with an info bar that is either on or off that takes up alot of screen real estate.... HDS you can overlay individual data wherever you want and piece size, boxed or unboxed etc