Pathfinder fuel tank prep prior to installation during assembly

redzone1

You will probably find no manufacturer doing that process because of cost. I think it is a combination of using thinner aluminum and probably Chinese aluminum to boot is probably a main contributor. I would hate to think a manufacturer is still foaming in aluminum tanks knowing the issue that it causes. Let alone not providing access for replacement knowing that tank failures are an issue. 

Really have never seen a easy tank removal that was easy no matter size of boat. Always things have to be removed and glass work cut into. Once cap is on it’s a forgotten area so to speak. 🤦‍♂️

I have seen brand new dsl engines totally broken down to the block to get them through a window of the boat and into the engine room and then rebuilt in the engine room.

Boat cabin trunk top cut into to remove and install full size fridge and glass work to repair cut out section. 

7 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

You will probably find no manufacturer doing that process because of cost. I think it is a combination of using thinner aluminum and probably Chinese aluminum to boot is probably a main contributor. I would hate to think a manufacturer is still foaming in aluminum tanks knowing the issue that it causes. Let alone not providing access for replacement knowing that tank failures are an issue. 

Cookie cutter manufacturers, no... Custom / semi custom builders, yes.  MBG moved into the production line world.  They are not in the game to compete with high end builds although their price says they are high end.  

These boats should at the very least have a tank hatch.  They don't even go that far.  Really sad to see people paying what they pay for these boats and having to cut them to pieces 8-9 years later.    

My 1989 Wahoo still has the original tank.  I knock on teak every time I run it, but being a 1989 she doesn't owe me anything anymore LOL.  

When I replaced my tank in my bay boat I asked multiple individuals with many years in the boat business if I should coat the tank. Many said no because if it has one area that is not sealed or gets scratched then water will creep under the coating and cause corrosion to occur at a more rapid rate. Others said if you coat it make sure it is a quality type sealer or finish that is tough but the cost for such a finish is excessive.

But most said to leave it as is and do not use foam to hold in the tank in and keep it raised off its base to allow air to get under and keep it dry. This is what I did.

22 hours ago, fin-addict said:

Really have never seen a easy tank removal that was easy no matter size of boat. Always things have to be removed and glass work cut into. Once cap is on it’s a forgotten area so to speak. 🤦‍♂️

My bay boat was easy to replace the tank. We discussed it in a previous topic.