Steinhatchee, Crystal River , elsewhere?

Wahoossi

I have a Redfisher 16 and a large bay boat ( Contender Bay 25). I am probably going to take the third week off in September and I am looking for a place to go and do some fishing with the wife. I am inclined to take the RF as it is more forgiving in new waters but limits me to inshore. It is also way easier to trailer to unfamiliar areas and I rarely trailer. I live north of Jacksonville (Saint Simons Island) and really don’t want to go all the way down to the Keys and put up with the craziness down there. I was in Marathon in July the Overseas Highway reminded was bumper to bumper. I would love to have some clearer water (ours is like mud) but I would really want to be able to catch some fish. The fishing up here in Georgia has been SLOW. I have been to North Captiva and  Pine Island Sound and that is a consideration. Realize there is not much for the wife in Steinhatchee.  Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

1D2AC1D6-C1C8-42C1-8AEC-A5D47EF75107.jpeg

29550079-B11D-47A6-B1FF-3FAB0132F273.jpeg

How is your sonar machine on the contender? Is it a through hull? I would take the contender if it were me. 

Not much to do in those small towns. Probably Crystal River has the most restaurants but takes forever to get to the ocean from the river. Steinhatchee is not bad they have 3 main restaurants. 

I love Captiva/Pine island. Let me know where you decide to go and I may have a number or two to try. 

Steinhatchee fishing is top notch.  Huge trout, Huge reds and clear water most of the time.  You can throw artificials and limit very easily.  Its a good spot for either of your boats.  The 16' would have a farther reach inshore based on tides.  

The town is very old Florida.  Very calm, quiet and no crowds (outside of scallop season).  The entire town is a golf cart community so if you have one and can bring it, do so.  

They have a handful of good food choices and Sea Hag Marina has 5 star service if needed.

I have a friend that lives there full time and is an inshore guide.  I visit 3/4 times a year.  Fun place.    

Thanks for the replies. The transducer is a through Hull and works well with the Garmin 1242 xsv.  Steinhatchee sounds like the plan as we are both getting older and quiet is what we are looking for.  North Captiva was fun last time when we went as we took my teenage daughter and her friend but trailering the bay boat all the way down there  was a bit rough. It was a bit too big for the mangroves and I didn’t have the knowledge and equipment to wander too far offshore. I may go to Steinhatchee for a long weekend and learn a little bit about the layout with the more forgiving Redfisher. Thanks again. What is the tide swing down there . Is it as big as ours, 6-9 feet feet?

50 minutes ago, Wahoossi said:

Thanks for the replies. The transducer is a through Hull and works well with the Garmin 1242 xsv.  Steinhatchee sounds like the plan as we are both getting older and quiet is what we are looking for.  North Captiva was fun last time when we went as we took my teenage daughter and her friend but trailering the bay boat all the way down there  was a bit rough. It was a bit too big for the mangroves and I didn’t have the knowledge and equipment to wander too far offshore. I may go to Steinhatchee for a long weekend and learn a little bit about the layout with the more forgiving Redfisher. Thanks again. What is the tide swing down there . Is it as big as ours, 6-9 feet feet?

On the full/new moon maybe 3.5-4' swing. Steinhatchee is rocky inshore so watch the chart when in less than 4'. Let us know where you decide. 

• 4 weeks later...

We took the Redfisher and we’re lucky as the weather was mostly perfect. The fishing was quite good, as Inwas able to find trout every day. Beautiful fish, larger and a more bronze tinged fish than I am used to in Georgia. I caught some on our typical popper/cork shrimp combo but most of the fish , including the larger ones succumbed to Yozuri mullet artifials of various sizes. Only one below slot redfish. No flounder and a bunch of pinfish, even on the Yozuri’s! The water was pretty cloudy and not “gin clear “ as described in some of the YouTube videos, probably due to all the recent storms and flooding. We stayed at the River Club Cottages and they were nice ( wife nixed the Sea Hag). Local people were awesome , particularly at the Sea Hag and at the River Club . Restaurants were a bit dicey, and the prices were similar to what I pay in our resort community for significantly lower quality. Kathi’s Krab House was our favorite but they insisted on playing the music at ear drum rupturing levels for some reason. The food was good though.  I will definitely head back to that little town to fish in the future.

86C78344-7B25-4EA2-9285-C50C2113D699.jpeg

202D5A16-5A41-4804-AC6B-B723718DD80A.jpeg

1412AEF4-0E0F-4F3F-BAD0-6FB740E6ED6C.jpeg

• Like 2