21 RF Leak under livewell

Mangroovin

Hi All.

Been getting water in the bilge for awhile and think I found the culprit.  Sorry video is not very good and I'll try to get better.  This is under my rear livewell.  Note that the livewell is empty at this point.  To me looks like the drain hose underneath is leaking (cracked maybe?).  Since this is below the water line Im thinking the water is coming back in through the rear drain fitting for this well.  Thoughts?  That spot is hard to get too!  Boat is in the water while the "not so good" video is being shot with iPhone.

Thanks for any input!

Joe

I coulldn't tell from the video if the thru-hull fitting was plastic (which I think it was) or metal...  If it is plastic I would definitely replace it with either bronze or stainless and also replace the hose with one made of reinfored rubber (not plastic)...  

It wont be a very easy, fun task but it does appear to be very do-able task judging by the video....

Good luck and God bless you and your skint knuckles,,,, cause you are going to have some!!

• Haha 2

Had a similar leak although mine was caused when the cap was set down on the hull during manufacturing.  In the process one of the drain hoses was crushed and eventually cracked creating a leak.  Ended up having to cut an access under the bench seat to do the repair.  Also replaced the plastic thru hulls with stainless. 

1 hour ago, Tails Up said:

Had a similar leak although mine was caused when the cap was set down on the hull during manufacturing.  In the process one of the drain hoses was crushed and eventually cracked creating a leak.  Ended up having to cut an access under the bench seat to do the repair.  Also replaced the plastic thru hulls with stainless. 

Not sure what caused mine, but thinking I am going the same direction as you in order to get to it.  Thanks!

Just spitballing...but, since it's only a live well, you could just cut out the entire drain area large enough to work easily and properly, then reinstall with some PVC board...I believe your livewell is plastic ?  If not, you could glass the cut out back in, using some under the livewell supports screwed in and then glassed over...then just sand and paint...no one is going to see it other than the shrimp and white baits :)

Either way..should be a finger buster.....been there on the Ghost. :)

c

44 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Just spitballing...but, since it's only a live well, you could just cut out the entire drain area large enough to work easily and properly, then reinstall with some PVC board...I believe your livewell is plastic ?  If not, you could glass the cut out back in, using some under the livewell supports screwed in and then glassed over...then just sand and paint...no one is going to see it other than the shrimp and white baits :)

Either way..should be a finger buster.....been there on the Ghost. :)

c

Very true Dino.  I have an access panel in the floor under the hatch just in front of it.  If I can't get to it from there, then I think cutting out around the drain is really the best way to do it correctly and get to everything.  Maybe get an artist to paint some underwater scene in there to keep my pilchards happy.....lolol.

So the culprit was a cracked drain hose under the livewell.  Have a good fiberglass guy who is also excellent at rigging boats taking care of it.  Probably will have to  make an opening in bottom of livewell to properly get to and fix everything.  Not an issue since he can fix fiberglass easily.

This was a bit of a wake up call.  Had the hose cracked further, there's a good chance that water would have been pouring in too fast for the bilge pump to keep up.

Lesson learned.  Just wanted to share and recommend to all to occasionally take a look in the hatches where pumps etc are - with the boat in the water - and be sure you don't have any water getting in.  I will be doing so much more regularly after this experience.👊

10 hours ago, Mangroovin said:

BTW will be putting an inline shut off between the bottom of the livewell and the thru hull at the stern.  😀

Most excellent...I forgot to remind you on this one...I would also change out the plastic thru hull with a bronze...

I installed the same after i was seeing a good bit of water in the bilge and the old plastic one was (after 27 years) breaking apart.

good to install..... 

dc

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 9:53 AM, smilemaker said:

The biggest  problem with the  thruhull for the drain is the diameter needed.

When you see the size and price thoughts change. 

You're not kidding... I am replacing all of my plastic thru hulls with bronze/stainless and let me tell you those 1.5" 90 degree fittings are not cheap!!! 

The other alternative is to buy new plastic fittings, they obviously last 15-20+ years (generally) and they are about $12 each instead of $60. 

Josh B.

Hey Josh.

Yeah mine is a 2003.  All fixed up great now and no more water getting in.  Multi skilled guy who does fiberglass, wiring, all kinds of boat stuff fixed it up for me.  To get to it, he drilled out the center of the livewell with a 5" hole saw.  Put in new drain and pipe and re glassed it.  Works as its supposed to once again.  He showed me the corrugated pipe he removed.  Put a slight bend in it and it cracked right in half.  Very brittle after 18 years.  Fittings are expensive initially but my baby sunk to the bottom would've been much worse.  LOL.  Good to take a look in the back hatch once in awhile and make sure everything is looking good - with the boat IN THE WATER.  Lesson learned and crisis avoided. :)

• Like 1