Gunsmith reccomendations

Shallowminded6

I know there are some avid shooters on here with allot of experience. I have a unique project I want to do. I have a 7mm Mauser(7x57) that was given to me from my grandfather when I was younger(partially sporterized). I am wanting to get a scope mounted on it. In order to accomplish this, it would need the safety moved so it can be done with a scope and drilled/tapped. Anyone have a place they would reccomend for a project like this? I live in Vero Beach but am willing to travel some to a reputable person. 

In all honesty i(personaly) wouldnt  change it one bit. Grand pops gave it to you like that ,learn to shoot it the way he shot it. Adding an optic and modifying it will take away from the history and sentimental part of it. 
unless you just dont care anything about it but   modifying it may take away from its resale if that be the case. Jmho

• Like 4

LUREM,,,,

Ken Branham who we knew at CoachGun on this forum regretfully passed away about a year ago shortly after he relocated  to the Houston area of Texas from Jacksonville...  Ken was a masterclass sporting clays shooter as well as a great certified shotgun sports instructor...  Ken managed WW SPORTING CLAYS, a sporting clays facility in the west Jacksonville area for quite some time...  Ken loved shallow water saltwater fishing from his 16'  Hewes Redfisher...  Ken was not a gunsmith...

Ken was a great friend!!  RIP

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Northfl said:

In all honesty i(personaly) wouldnt  change it one bit. Grand pops gave it to you like that ,learn to shoot it the way he shot it. Adding an optic and modifying it will take away from the history and sentimental part of it. 
unless you just dont care anything about it but   modifying it may take away from its resale if that be the case. Jmho

Totally agree with keeping it the way it is, no mods. GP gave it one way so keep as is.

if you do go with a mod, google the rifle with scope images and several comes up. 👍

7 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

Cole Gunsmiths is a very good shop.  Two locations, one is in Naples Fl. 239-352-0345. The other one is in Maine. I hope this helps you. JJ

Thank you, hoping there is someone on the east coast somewhat close by, but if I dont, will deffinently give them a shout. Maine may be a bit far for me. 

I think you are going to find this will not be easy to find someone to do what you want..... its a dying art / profession.  Id be Searching the web for someone who specializes in the Mauser platform but theres a good chance you may have to ship it to someone out of state if you do find them.    Also Id guess there are some Mauser forums out there where you might be able to find what you seek

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FINCHASER said:

I think you are going to find this will not be easy to find someone to do what you want..... its a dying art / profession.  Id be Searching the web for someone who specializes in the Mauser platform but theres a good chance you may have to ship it to someone out of state if you do find them.    Also Id guess there are some Mauser forums out there where you might be able to find what you seek

Didnt think of that, will search out a mauser forum, and post there as well. It deffienently is, allot of gunsmiths dont want to touch it. Was just hoping someone here knows someone that is up to this particular job. Thanks for the info fin. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jh141 said:

Brass-Stacker-Mauser-Scout-Scope-Mount-ONLY-L5_640x640.jpg

Im hoping for a cleaner look but that might be it. I talked to a gunsmith in northern Brevard, an older fella that might do it. Im hoping to find someone of the like as the older fellas are the actual tradesman. Will see. If anyone else has a reccomendation please let me know. This wont be the first gun for my kids to shoot, just one I can hand down. I have numerous of GP guns that are all original and sentimental(I am sentimental and traditional). I appreciate that mentality of this forum tho. Not many people that value things like that anymore. 

On 8/24/2021 at 4:25 PM, Hobo said:

LUREM,,,,

Ken Branham who we knew at CoachGun on this forum regretfully passed away about a year ago shortly after he relocated  to the Houston area of Texas from Jacksonville...  Ken was a masterclass sporting clays shooter as well as a great certified shotgun sports instructor...  Ken managed WW SPORTING CLAYS, a sporting clays facility in the west Jacksonville area for quite some time...  Ken loved shallow water saltwater fishing from his 16'  Hewes Redfisher...  Ken was not a gunsmith...

Ken was a great friend!!  RIP

Thank you for sharing, Hobo. I had no idea....I live in Jax. and busted many-a clay there. Ken was a fine man, he will be sorely missed by all he knew him. For those who don't know, WW Sporting Clays in no more. They have a massive motocross complex now, which seems to be doing well. 

• 5 weeks later...

Figured I would post the follow up incase someone needed a good gun smith or had a similar project they wanted to tackle. First off, I found an AWESOME gunsmith that was super honest and works for way less than he was worth IMO. He is out of Indiatlantic FL,. His name is mark and the company is BenchMark Performance Services 321-536-9706. He took the gun apart, cleaned it, inspected it for any issues prior to doing any work so if there was an issue we wouldnt proceed. Then researched the gun and the history and printed out about 10-22 pages of info about the history and model. He found and told me the twist of the barrel and his suggestions of the grain bullets that would group best with the gun. He suggested type of trigger and how to add a safety more cost efficiently due to the rifle having a tang safety that wouldnt work with a scope. Did all the work and set the new timney trigger to 3lb that is better than any trigger Ive had on a hunting rifle and made adjustments to the bolt to accomodate the scope. Needless to say I was more than impressed and couldnt give him any higher of a reccomendation. Here are some pics of the finished product. 

075ADD0D-88E2-43BE-8FB8-F1A600B00F15.jpeg

7CA9531B-E6A4-47C6-AD28-5B58B1CE856B.jpeg

E54C8643-6B9A-4E08-8C8C-B17905E1347A.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...