2004 Pathfinder 2200TE: Changing/Replacing the fuel supply line, from tank to Raycor.

Val2004

I have a 2004 Pathfinder 2200TE.

I want to change the main fuel supply line from the tank to the fuel-water separator.  The tank has been pumped empty since a year ago.  I want to replace the aging fuel line before refilling the tank.  There are 2 potential problems:

1.  It’s next to impossible to access the spot where the line connects to the fuel pickup, using the existing round hatch inside the console.  I will have to cut the deck and install a larger 12”x16” rectangular hatch. This will also allow for changing the pickup unit.  Does anybody have an experience with installing such a hatch in the 22TE console?

2. But before I install the hatch, I want to make sure that the original supply line can be removed.  Has anybody done that?  If it is attached to the hull under the deck, can I just leave it in place and install the new line in parallel to the old one?  Can 5/8” OD hose be fished under the deck and into the transom compartment, to reach the fuel-water separator?

56 minutes ago, Val2004 said:

I have a 2004 Pathfinder 2200TE.

I want to change the main fuel supply line from the tank to the fuel-water separator.  The tank has been pumped empty since a year ago.  I want to replace the aging fuel line before refilling the tank.  There are 2 potential problems:

1.  It’s next to impossible to access the spot where the line connects to the fuel pickup, using the existing round hatch inside the console.  I will have to cut the deck and install a larger 12”x16” rectangular hatch. This will also allow for changing the pickup unit.  Does anybody have an experience with installing such a hatch in the 22TE console?

2. But before I install the hatch, I want to make sure that the original supply line can be removed.  Has anybody done that?  If it is attached to the hull under the deck, can I just leave it in place and install the new line in parallel to the old one?  Can 5/8” OD hose be fished under the deck and into the transom compartment, to reach the fuel-water separator?

@

OK.  Purchased this hatch from Amazon:   CO-Z 17-1/4"x12-3/8'' Marine Access Hatch.

Made a plywood template for the cutout.  Here it is in the console:

995AC24F-86E0-4859-A25F-48A144D2D462.jpeg.85537ae0974531d1a0167eaccdd4b625.jpeg

That is how the hatch will look when closed:

42A0B45D-618D-45A7-9F50-7014123F1B86.jpeg.46b10dffef0f23242bd74dd2ba664f94.jpeg

Ready to cut the hole.  Will use the Ryobi version of RotoZip:  ONE+ 18V SPEED SAW Rotary Cutter  with a 1/8” bit. Will practice first on a scrap piece of fiberglass decking.

Did I forget anything?

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 10:02 PM, smilemaker said:

I replaced the supply in my 04 22TE

I could not  remove the original hose. It is easier to go to the starboard side and snake the hose down the side. A little patience and an electrical snake will make it a doable job.

You were right.  The old hose would not budge.  I snaked the fish tape from the console back.  It came out about the same place as the old hose emerges from the bilge. 10 foot hose was barely long enough.  Connected the the tail end to the fuel-water separator.  Tomorrow will finish the tank connection.  

Finally I am done.  Here is the new hatch both open and closed.  In the far right corner the new hose is connected to the tank outlet.  All the tank connections, including the sending unit, are easily accessible now.  I hope Maverick will make a big hatch standard equipment on future models.  On the other hand, it would deprive the future owners of an interesting DIY project. 😃

5F26F44B-3BD3-49E2-9D98-2460B4CE245D.jpeg

08D189FC-8C12-4D84-90BB-18A9CBFF3DDC.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Val2004 said:

I hope Maverick will make a big hatch standard equipment on future models.  

Ive owned 3 Pathfinders, two ‘02 v’s and a ’06 tournament and none had that pie plate hatch. They all had a large square fiberglass lid about the size of your hatch from the factory.  Crazy yours is/was like that.