Do You Use a Secret Sauce?

MuddyBottomBluz

I was given a bunch of tackle and miscellaneous items from a buddy of mine. When we fished together he always used a secret sauce on his soft plastics. You know the scents out of a bottle or a rub. I never noticed his catch rate increase because of it, so I don't know if I should keep them.

Do any of you guys drench your soft plastics in scent and do you you see any advantage of them?

We refer to this as schlop, and yes, we use it here, especially in stained water.  Does it make a difference?  To pinfish and croakers, 1000%.  Flounder, striper, reds?   99% of it is probably increased confidence.    

Now, when it gets on my fingers, and I wipe it on my shirt and pants, then come home amd hug my wife, it has a very clear influence on my attractiveness to her . . .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

I was given a bunch of tackle and miscellaneous items from a buddy of mine. When we fished together he always used a secret sauce on his soft plastics. You know the scents out of a bottle or a rub. I never noticed his catch rate increase because of it, so I don't know if I should keep them.

Do any of you guys drench your soft plastics in scent and do you you see any advantage of them?

I just watched a video by CA Anderson - Flats Class this morning and he always uses it....he showed that he puts a few drops into a small ziplock with his baits...he uses exclusively Z man, which he says absorb the scent....and Z man has others that are scented....

I've used the same thing  - Procure...which he recommends and I've used the spray bottle of gulp when I"m using live shrimp or DOA's and it seems to help ??? who knows, lately I haven't been able to catch anything anyways :)

Go to Flats Class and you can see it on Youtube...

dc

59 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

it has a very clear influence on my attractiveness to her . . .

And mix in a long day of fishing sweat with the sauce.........it must be love if she hasn't left yet!xD 

4 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Go to Flats Class and you can see it on Youtube...

I have seen him use it, but does his bite ratio increase, or is it simply a placebo for our mind making us think we are doing something to influence the bite? I know that Gulp's work but that scent is infused into the bait. Does sauce wear off after one cast? 

• Like 1

It's species specific.  Think about the anatomy of the fish species and the way they forage.  Snook are ambush predators, so I don't think ProCure or GULP!  are as big an influence on catch rate.  Redfish, on the other hand, are forage fish and smell is probably very important to them.  Unfortunately, so are catfish!  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Unfortunately, so are catfish!  

U nose dats rite !!!

I've caught my biggest sail cats in Chokoloskee on a Gulp....da stink brings them in :)

In CA's video, he does recommend different ProCure for each situation.....mullet for paddle tails, pinfish for jerk baits ,etc. and shrimp for dddaaaaaaaa SHRIMP.

DC

11 hours ago, Big Dave said:

It's species specific.  Think about the anatomy of the fish species and the way they forage.  Snook are ambush predators, so I don't think ProCure or GULP!  are as big an influence on catch rate.  Redfish, on the other hand, are forage fish and smell is probably very important to them.  Unfortunately, so are catfish!  

Well thank you Doctor BigDave! Your diagnosis makes perfect sense, we work soft plastics slower so I can see where a fish, including the elusive catfish can follow the scent trail to the bait. Where as a crankbait causes a reaction bite that any fish will turn on, no time to take a whiff!

I know The Outlaw is not talking but do you guys use it, or is it a "can't hurt" type of thing if you do use it?

• Like 1