Seats

nigel

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Hewes Redfisher that come with 3 captain chairs.  I really wanna change out the seats for a bench seat.  I will post pics of what I what I want to do.  My local upholstery shop gave me a price but told me that if I provided the wood for the underside, they could do it a good bit cheaper.  So my question to the group is: if I do used wood, what thickness and type do you recommend?  Also, would a thicker PVC sheet be better in the long run than wood? 

Thanks in advance for your help.  

IMG_7039.thumb.jpeg.87f962729fcfc063e579481f931dae12.jpeg

Use Coosa board or Divinycell. The coosa is stronger and heavier, but for a seat backing board a stronger PVC/foam board would probably get the job done. Just depends on the thickness and length of span between mounts. You could always use starboard too, but I think that may be overkill. If you have a marine supply store in your area go take a look at the different products. I don't like the idea of having wood on the boat anywhere, especially if the boat is not stored in doors.

Josh B.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josh B said:

Use Coosa board or Divinycell. The coosa is stronger and heavier, but for a seat backing board a stronger PVC/foam board would probably get the job done. Just depends on the thickness and length of span between mounts. You could always use starboard too, but I think that may be overkill. If you have a marine supply store in your area go take a look at the different products. I don't like the idea of having wood on the boat anywhere, especially if the boat is not stored in doors.

Josh B.

thanks josh!   That’s exactly what I needed to know!  

On 7/28/2021 at 10:01 AM, nigel said:

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Hewes Redfisher that come with 3 captain chairs.  I really wanna change out the seats for a bench seat.  I will post pics of what I what I want to do.  My local upholstery shop gave me a price but told me that if I provided the wood for the underside, they could do it a good bit cheaper.  So my question to the group is: if I do used wood, what thickness and type do you recommend?  Also, would a thicker PVC sheet be better in the long run than wood? 

Thanks in advance for your help.  

IMG_7039.thumb.jpeg.87f962729fcfc063e579481f931dae12.jpeg

What seats are you replacing? What are you doing with them?

28 minutes ago, Fishtails said:

What seats are you replacing? What are you doing with them?

Hey man.  So currently it has 3 of the fish on seats.  I think that’s the name.  They are like 6 months old.  The fella I bought from had them installed. I want a bench instead. I’ll probably sell them or something. I won’t trash em. They are brand new!