My Mistress Is HOT - And I Think It's Time For Cleaning - Gear heads Apply

Wanaflatsfish

10 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Since I hear it is a years wait , .........

Only live once . 😬

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

7FD93449-1356-4F08-96DA-7CB8F58398DE.png

Another reason to take care of the ol 2 smoker :)

Wow....imagine 1 year wait list....how things have changed....used to be able to just back into any Yamadog dealer, drop $10K and walk out with a new egnine...now, it's like you have won the lottery......

DC

• Like 1

I don’t think you’ll have an issue with this project, Dino. I’ve seen it done. Just take your time.

Ice Nap’s F90 just got fondled by John@Maximum. 892 hours & still purring along 🙏🏻 She just turned 10 years old so the rehab is beginning on the deck & trailer @IMS next week. 

ps. I have two neighbors in Choko that rave about their 115 Suzukis & would never go back to Yamaha, just saying…. 😉 

2 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Who doesn't still love the smell of a two stroke in the early morning hours! It is in our DNA, that smell is associated with good times and friends. Come to think of it, I might try to find a way to bottle that smell!

Taken from the great Robert Duval's line from Apocalypse Now on the beach........."Said with Robert Duval accent", "I love the smell of two stroke in the morning.....that smell, the burning smell.....reminds me of.....reminds me of.......Snook Fishing :) "

dc

• Like 1

Personally I think trying to do this with cleaners and or acids only makes sense if your not going to keep it, otherwise you are shooting yourself in the foot as there is no way its gonna get rid of all the scale.  This scale is some nasty stuff.... id also be concerned some chunks get loose and get lodged somewhere creating a bigger problem.

I did a 96 V115 on my old hewes BF 18.... never had a motor apart before and after I got it apart I soon realized it was really no big deal to do it.  Biggest worry is bolts breaking already mentioned... what I did was loosen every bolt on the WJ covers to see if any were going to be an issue.  Removed the WJ covers and did the same for the heads.... I had 1 that was pretty stiff so I went super slow loosen till it got real stiff then tightened and kept repeating till it was out.

It was a bit labor intensive to remove the scale.... about 3/4 thru that process I found out vinegar would loosen the scale and vastly reduce the scrubbing and scraping so get a tub big enough for the heads and covers and soak them in some.  Some key tips I learned... various size SS bore cleaning brushes on a pistol rod worked great getting into tight spots like around the cylinders think I mainly used .38 and 22 cal.  Also 3m makes little wheels to go on a die grinder that work great for cleaning the gasket surfaces and not harm the metal... highly recommend this as I did it with a razor blade and scrub pads and it was the most PITA of the whole job.

Heres some before and after pics. 

100_0490.JPG

100_0491.JPG

100_0485.JPG

100_0492.JPG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

Personally I think trying to do this with cleaners and or acids only makes sense if your not going to keep it, otherwise you are shooting yourself in the foot as there is no way its gonna get rid of all the scale.  This scale is some nasty stuff.... id also be concerned some chunks get loose and get lodged somewhere creating a bigger problem.

I did a 96 V115 on my old hewes BF 18.... never had a motor apart before and after I got it apart I soon realized it was really no big deal to do it.  Biggest worry is bolts breaking already mentioned... what I did was loosen every bolt on the WJ covers to see if any were going to be an issue.  Removed the WJ covers and did the same for the heads.... I had 1 that was pretty stiff so I went super slow loosen till it got real stiff then tightened and kept repeating till it was out.

It was a bit labor intensive to remove the scale.... about 3/4 thru that process I found out vinegar would loosen the scale and vastly reduce the scrubbing and scraping so get a tub big enough for the heads and covers and soak them in some.  Some key tips I learned... various size SS bore cleaning brushes on a pistol rod worked great getting into tight spots like around the cylinders think I mainly used .38 and 22 cal.  Also 3m makes little wheels to go on a die grinder that work great for cleaning the gasket surfaces and not harm the metal... highly recommend this as I did it with a razor blade and scrub pads and it was the most PITA of the whole job.

Heres some before and after pics. 

100_0490.JPG

100_0491.JPG

100_0485.JPG

100_0492.JPG

thank you for your update....

good info and pics....

dc

• Like 1

Update....

After thinking through it..I've decided to take it to John @ Maximum Outboards here in Pompano....

Given what can happen if I torque it incorrectly...I think for a few hours labor by a professional...it will be money best spent....

I"ll update after next week...she heading in on Monday.

dc

• Like 3