Information on 20 LT

Wizumz

Hi All,

A friend of mine put me on a potentially-for-sale 21 LT late 90's version but I'm not seeing much information on the web about them, seems like a fairly rare hull.  The owner stated only 400 or so were made, is that true?  Is it safe to assume that the rigging/setup is very similar to the 20LT, just a tad larger?  As it's an old boat, am I able to access the tank/stringers via the hatch under the console to ensure they're in good shape (I haven't seen the boat in person yet, so I do not know if there is even a hatch under the console).  Any help is appreciated!

I'm also considering an old LT 18 but the one I'm looking at is much more expensive (double the price), of course though, the 21 is quite a bit less 'turn-key.'

Thanks for any help, hoping to one day be in the Owner's club here!

3 minutes ago, Lap it Up said:

I have never heard of or seen a 21 Light tackle.  I am pretty sure the biggest light tackle was the 20LT.  Can you get pics?  What is the HIN? 

Isn't the 20 LT basically 21ft (I think I saw it was 20'10"?), maybe the guy got confused and was just saying it was a 21 foot boat and not exactly a 21 LT model.  I'm fairly certain that's the case now, sorry for the confusion/stupidity XD.

I'm going to water test the boat shortly, keeping an eye out for the 'bow plow' that I've heard these models can have.  Since I do want to sightfish from time-to-time (I don't need sub-1ft draft), I'm thinking I would use a trolling motor for moving distances and use a pole to reposition the boat for casts... anyone with experience on the 18 LT and 20 LT think there would be a dramatic difference in maneuverability between the two?  I'm leaning towards the 20 as it is much more seaworthy and I will have to handle decent chop and waves at times.

• Wizumz changed the title to Information on 20 LT
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been an happy owner of the 20ft LT since 1999,mine is a 1997.  These are great boats for a serious fisherman who goes into shallow water and around boulder fields.  You must get a troller on the bow if you are fishing shore lines. Poling is possible,but not practical if you fish by yourself.

As far as how the boat has held up, it has been very trouble free.  It will plow at wide open,I had very little plowing with my original 2 stroke 150 VMAX,but I am sure it was a better prop.  I am debating changing my new motor prop which is stock 150 4 stroke Yamaha.

You will not be able to check out the stringers very easily and you also can't get to the gas tank without removing the consol.  There is a large section of the floor that can be removed to access the tank.  So far the tank has been ok,but fingers are crossed.  

I leave the boat at a dock in brackish water which I think has helped, if the boat has been trailered it should be ok.  I think if you do a lot of rough water racing around it could cause some tank issues.

You can feel pretty safe on most days with this boat. I have taken it across a 6 mile open sound on good days.

Good luck with your hunt for a boat, ask questions if you have any specifics.

• 2 months later...
On 9/30/2021 at 11:33 AM, polliwog said:

I just ran across your inquiry about the 20 LT,did you find what you wanted?  I just put mine away for another winter here in the NE.  Down to my Maverick in SWFL in ANOTHER WEEK non stop fishing.

I ended up with an 18LT, LOVE IT.  I don't think I could pole the 20 as an 18 is even tough and I find I really enjoy pushing someone on the bow around.  I made a thread in Hewes Owners Photos about the rig, take a look, have some questions listed there.