Jump to content

Hewes Redfisher 18 vs Pathfinder 1900v


Recommended Posts

I'm looking for something to fish the Manatee river and Tampa Bay that will also fit in a 25' deep garage.  I've found a few 1900v with newer power (2001 with 2015 150 and 2002 with 2019 115) and a 2007 Hewes Redfisher 18 w/ 150.   I know one is a bay boat and the other a flats boat but how do both compare ride wise in chop?  The Hewes is about 500 lb heavier l, correct?  I want to fish skinny and they both appear to have similar drafts.    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm leaning more towards the 1900V because of the leaning post.  Saw where a guy did the attached on his flats boat and another with a removable leaning post.  Obviously I'm spending more money to have this made and the RF is already $4k more. 

What did you like about your RF and beside the leaning post what did you like about the 1900v?  How was the ride?

 

Screenshot_20210220-185714__01.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, davepjr71 said:

What did you like about your RF and beside the leaning post what did you like about the 1900v?  How was the ride?

I owned the RF18 for about 18 months......I moved from a Dusky 23 to downsize to a smaller skiff...the RF18 will be nimble in handling around the mangroves as it will sit lower in the water...you'll be able to easily walk the gunnels....it takes the chop pretty well...it does pole (PF19 - will not).....I moved to a a PF22 as I liked the ability to fish offshore for yellow tail and mahi....I owned the PF22 for about 7 years....bought a PF17T owned it for a few years (very skinny water fishing) and then moved to my final mistress the MA17 which is my final skiff....

Hope this helps....you'll find a bit more versatile fishing with the 19V with the same draft as the RF18.

 

DC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I owned the RF18 for about 18 months......I moved from a Dusky 23 to downsize to a smaller skiff...the RF18 will be nimble in handling around the mangroves as it will sit lower in the water...you'll be able to easily walk the gunnels....it takes the chop pretty well...it does pole (PF19 - will not).....I moved to a a PF22 as I liked the ability to fish offshore for yellow tail and mahi....I owned the PF22 for about 7 years....bought a PF17T owned it for a few years (very skinny water fishing) and then moved to my final mistress the MA17 which is my final skiff....

Hope this helps....you'll find a bit more versatile fishing with the 19V with the same draft as the RF18.

 

DC

It does help. Thank you

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just my own opinion, but completely satisfied with the RF 18. It handles inshore chop easily as well as cruising the beach for kings. I’ve owned larger boats to run 60 miles offshore but this RF will make you think twice! If your ever in the Jax area, yell at me and I’ll let you run her! I’m not knocking her but after your fish finder is placed in the console, there really isn’t any room for anything else other then your coffee mug holder ..David

PS.. If Capt Dewalt says the 1900V is better, I’d go that way. He definitely has more experience then I do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I loved my Bonefisher, but the biggest drawback for me was the lack of a backrest. Sitting that low in the cockpit without anything to lean against and give your back some relief made for very stiff days following a long day of fishing. That Hewes hull would eat anything you threw at it. When I finally decided to sell and look for something with a leaning post, I knew I wanted a 1900 or a 2000 Pathfinder. I couldn't be happier with the one I own now. I would like to move up to a 2200 if I knew I could make it fit inside my shop with a swing-tongue trailer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

had my Redfisher 10 years.. still love that boat.  Now have a Pathy1900V.  VERY different boat.  Loved to poll the Hewes, stalk in shallows.. took a chop pretty well.. lots of storage to put stuff.  Can't poll the Pathy and while the RF I would run offshore, with the higher gunnels I 'feel' safer in the Pathy.  With both can fish shorelines and reasonably skinny (say 14" even though both get a little skinnier ).  Both do very well dryish flat ride in a chop.  Cant walk the gunnels in the pathy, but standing at the helm gives better view than being right on the water with the skiff.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 5:55 PM, davepjr71 said:

I'm looking for something to fish the Manatee river and Tampa Bay that will also fit in a 25' deep garage.  I've found a few 1900v with newer power (2001 with 2015 150 and 2002 with 2019 115) and a 2007 Hewes Redfisher 18 w/ 150.   I know one is a bay boat and the other a flats boat but how do both compare ride wise in chop?  The Hewes is about 500 lb heavier l, correct?  I want to fish skinny and they both appear to have similar drafts.    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I also am working with a 25ft depth in terms of parking. Did you buy a boat? How's the fit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...