Everglades National Park July 3

Was invited to join George (Got1On) and Mike (InTheSlot12) on George's Pathfinder 23 TE for a trip to fish the ENP out of Flamingo on Saturday. We launched before first light and ran north towards Cape Sable. Game plan was to fish the beaches along the Cape at first light for snook and then run out to the "wreck", which I believe is the H.M. Brickford. A beautiful sunrise was behind us as we made our run.

I believe the post-spawn snook often feed more actively at this time of year under the right conditions than during the spring spawn (when they have something else on their minds!). Anyway, the snook were quite active and readily busted the large (5", 1 oz.) Yo-Zuri Hydro Pencil top water bait that I was throwing as well as the Mirro-Lure Catch 2000 and the GULP! Swimming Mullet that George and Mike decided to use. None were "trophy" size, but they were plentiful--we caught 25-30 before running northwest to the wreck.

We anchored up current from the wreck and almost immediately spotted a familiar dark brown target. Unfortunately, Mike was unable to convince the Cobia to eat before it swam off. We figured it was probably under slot size as we saw the black and white stripes and splotches of color that are typical of younger fish. Our suspicions were confirmed when a boat fishing near us quickly caught and released two smalls. The large barracuda were around, but uncharacteristically shy about attacking the colorful tube lures that Mike was throwing. There were some big sharks around, some scattered permit and we saw a few rolling tarpon and a couple of hefty jew fish (George battled two, but got broke off both times), but really didn't have much luck. So, it was time to weigh anchor and head back to the coast.

We had some luck fishing the last half of the falling tide, working the downed timber and other structure around the creek mouths, landing several more snook, a small redfish and a couple of nice trout, both just under 20". Slack tide at the end of the day meant it was time for a cold beer and the run back to Flamingo. Overall, a very enjoyable day with my two friends. 

IMG_4513.jpeg

B33E589E-BD28-4CBC-AB72-6FD7BAC6AC5D.jpg

IMG_4525.JPG

IMG_4523.JPG

IMG_4506.jpeg

IMG_4510.jpeg

• Like 2