Yamaha V4 115 vs. Yamaha V4 ProV 115

TURN ME LOOSE

What was the difference between them in the 90s models?

And was the difference in the 115 and 130 some carb adjustments?

Had a Hewes in the family growing up. Two actually, but the first was the older lappy with the extended livewells off the transom. Dad bought the boat used and it had a 140 V4 Looper. When that blew, he re-powered with a 130 Yamaha. Had that boat for years and even sold it to a close family friend. If it hadn't of been stolen from him, I'm sure the motor would have lasted him a long time. It never let us down.

There's a local Hewes with a 115 ProV and I'm just curious what the differences were.

4 hours ago, TURN ME LOOSE said:

What was the difference between them in the 90s models?

And was the difference in the 115 and 130 some carb adjustments?

Had a Hewes in the family growing up. Two actually, but the first was the older lappy with the extended livewells off the transom. Dad bought the boat used and it had a 140 V4 Looper. When that blew, he re-powered with a 130 Yamaha. Had that boat for years and even sold it to a close family friend. If it hadn't of been stolen from him, I'm sure the motor would have lasted him a long time. It never let us down.

There's a local Hewes with a 115 ProV and I'm just curious what the differences were.

34mm cards replaced 32mm on most 130’s and the heads had smaller combustion chambers upping the compression a little . Also bumped the max RPM from 5500- 6000 . Other than that the 115 was a little over 115 HP and the 130 was just a 130 . Basically the same motor . 

I followed a hopped up engine build on scream and fly a long time ago and the guy showed some porting differences between the 115 and 130 (also depends on years). 

I own a 1994 prov 115.  It makes great power.  I also owned a 130 for many years.  Great motor and seemed quieter than my 115 prov.  I assume the exhaust plate and or tuner is slightly different.  

You can call the guys at hydrotec.  They can give you the info you are looking for  

• Sad 1

V

3 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

I followed a hopped up engine build on scream and fly a long time ago and the guy showed some porting differences between the 115 and 130 (also depends on years). 

I own a 1994 prov 115.  It makes great power.  I also owned a 130 for many years.  Great motor and seemed quieter than my 115 prov.  I assume the exhaust plate and or tuner is slightly different.  

You can call the guys at hydrotec.  They can give you the info you are looking for  

Really porting difference between the 115 & 130  ?  Back in the day Nathan at Hydrotec or Ray Nuedecker in Tenn would of been the porting experts on the V-4 115 and 130 .  

On 6/25/2021 at 3:45 PM, dabear said:

Really porting difference between the 115 & 130  ?  Back in the day Nathan at Hydrotec or Ray Nuedecker in Tenn would of been the porting experts on the V-4 115 and 130 .  

I've seen the motor and boat in person on a Keys run years back.  It is a 13' Biel Tunnel and flat out hauls the mail.  Below is the link.  Its a super long thread but gives you a lot of info in the first few pages.  Yes... A lot of the info came from Ray and Gordon at Monty Racing built it.  Really cool info in this thread if you like hopped up 2 strokes!  They explain the different sleeves and porting.  

https://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?267004-Yamaha-130-V4-Project-Build&highlight=biel 

That’s a old article that was very interesting . Both Mike Dowling from Ala and Ray Nuedecker from Tenn where both friends of mine we all shared a lot of useful information . I went by Dingie 2 on the scream and fly forum a long time ago . Mike and I played the gunner game on our 115,s . On a flats boat the tuner made very little difference unlike the 13 foot Demeanor ran . Mike and I played the 34 mm carb game and found out the old external jet carbs that came on the 220 special where a good mix for the 115s . I ran every tuner made for the 115 and 130 and cut down a few to run tunnels with in between back pressures. In 2004 I lightened my stock flywheel and ran it on my ported V-4 block that had lots of intake work reed cadge work stuffed read cadges with stock rubber 220 special reed stuffers . It was a lot of fun and money twisting that V-4 to 6800 RPM sounded like a bumble bee but really shortened the time between rebuilds . I ran a mixture of 100 octane race fuel and 93 pump gas to prevent spark knock with a set of heads I ran for 6 months that Wayne at Hydra Tech did for me he raised and reshaped the domes after cutting for max compression lots of fun . After six years of hot rod ding the V-4 I sold that boat and motor and switched to a stock four stroke that ran on reg gas and started enjoying fishing and not working on the motor all week . All depends on what you like to do it was fun back in the day and now it’s fun to not work on the boat and motor in search of that last MPH . Today there are speed limits , no wake  idle and manatee zones where I use to run WOT testing props all the time . Have fun be safe . Joe R 

• Thanks 1