2017 2400- Rust on the transom lifting eyes

Is there a fix for the rust coming from both transom lifting eyes.  I had a 2006 2200 and never had that problem.   This one I have has a rust run down the whole back of the transom on both side.   I can not comprehend of all the great SS fitting that they would use something on the transom that would rust.   Anyone else having this problem?  

Those rings are very strong Stainless Steel: more steel than stainless because of their use. I scarred one side up with a steel hook on a tie down strap. It rusted down the transom.  Once I got aggravated enough I compounded, then polished the rust stains off the transom gelcoat and then worked on the ring.. I carefully filed down a gouge in the ring and then polished off all the rust on the ring with a cloth and compound. Kinda like a shoe shine cloth..back and forth.  I polished up the ring and cleaned it with alcohol. ( I cheated with some rust remover around the base where I couldn’t get to it.) I tried a light coat of some thick silicone grease and it never rusted again. I replaced the strap hook with a coated one too. 
Keeping the salt off it was key I think. 

MM

• 1 month later...

theIrust I am getting on both sides is from behind the backing plate coming through the hull, or it appears to be.   Also I am seeing some from the front hull drain.   This is a 2017 - 2400 TRS.   Should I try removing them from the hull and trying to clean them up from behind?   The boat sits in a sling most of the season in Galveston which does not help. 

If the rust stains are coming from behind the backing plate, then you have some voids in the sealant and that is allowing water to sit behind the backing plate. I would remove the eyes, then remove the sealant, clean up rust from everything, then reinstall with lots of 4200. Clean up 4200 with mineral spirits. 

I did some research on rusting screws and bolts as they relate to boats. Most of the problems were associated with water sitting between the stainless part and the hole where the stainless part penetrated. The only way to keep the water out is to install stainless parts with some quality sealant like 3M-4200. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies.   I ended up pulling the boat from the last Hurricane a couple of weeks ago that blew through Galveston and compounded and wax it all off.   Also used some rust remover.   I'm a big fan of 4200, open the cap and I'm covered with it.   Good stuff.  

Thanks