engine surging

vinnybugs

Lurem

I know what u r talking about. I had same engine in1986 and needed a new cdi unit but different reaction. I thought about cdi but when i had the problem it with bog down drastically. Not the same as now. Now i just lose rpms  then picks up after i push choke. Then again who knows.  Gonna do carbs again and we shall see. Then do what Brad said in previous post before i go for that money. CDI  over 300.

Thanks for the help will keep u informed

On 6/25/2021 at 6:12 PM, vinnybugs said:

honey B

wht do u mean loading up at idle?

im not good at this stuff

please explain

THanks

When I think of loading up I think of fuel sealing by a seat  and putting more fuel in for combustion than needed. Therefore effecting ur fuel to air ratio. Once it stumbles and then comes up to speed your air has likely caught up with the fuel in the system.  As Brad said pulling jets and spraying cleaner in the ports might keep you from pulling the carbs again. I would assume your “guy” checked your adjustments when he was there last. 

15 hours ago, vinnybugs said:

should i do a seafoam thing?

will that clean the carbs?

Yamaha carbs have very small jets (especially idle jets) and very small fuel orifices throughout.  Snake oil wont do much at all.  A true cleaning requires full disassembly, soaking and or ultrasonic cleaning along with high pressure air at every port / orifice    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Yamaha carbs have very small jets (especially idle jets) and very small fuel orifices throughout.  Snake oil wont do much at all.  A true cleaning requires full disassembly, soaking and or ultrasonic cleaning along with high pressure air at every port / orifice    

That's right! I have a little hot plate I use to bring the carb cleaner up to a little more than warm, and let it go all day. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • vinnybugs changed the title to engine surging
  • 3 months later...

Ok guys. i know its been awhile but i said i would let you all know.

Well had the carbs rebuilt.  Had it out 3 times and it ran well. Sometime on the first start up on the muffs it might sneeze but thats it. It doesnt do that in the water.

Tech is gonna come and take a look

Thanks again to all hat replies

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...