Mounting 12 Unit on Console

MBGNole

Hey Guys. I started running Florida Marine Tracks and decided to move to a 12" Lowrance unit in order to get the most out of the chart. My 1900V does not have room to flush mount it, so up top it will go.

My question is, when mounting a larger unit on top of the console, are you using an articulating mount like the Balzout mount (I have not had great luck with the Ram mounts holding) or just mounting the gimbal bracket straight to the console? 

If you used a separate mount, have you seen a great advantage in viewing or maybe turning the unit to be read from the bow area?

As always, thanks for the input.

2nd on the BalzOut mounts.  Great product, great customer service.  If the mount that is included with your unit works ok (fits well, provides good viewing angle, etc.), that will probably be fine.  But if you want the abiliity to maneuver the MFD around at all (in bright sunlight to get a better angle, up above the wheel, etc.), then the BalzOut mounts are the way to go.  

• Like 1

Ran em all in my well seasoned age...Balzout is top shelf and nothing really compares right now to them that I have run. I ran a 12 for short time on my MA but went back to 9 but kept the Balzout mount for 12" units as I liked the surface area it had and in case I changed my mind...again lol and went back to 12.

IMG_7960.jpg

• Like 1

Balzout has a good reputation.  I wanted a low profile mount that I could spin easily and quickly, to view from the bow.  I just installed a Johnny Ray mount.  It's on a firm rachet that spins 360 degrees with no knobs to adjust.  Quick release, for storage with the slide lever on the front.  Still new - still testing, but I like it so far.  Corrosion-proof too - made of heavy duty nylon.

IMG_0943b.jpg

IMG_0947b.jpg

IMG_0948b.jpg

IMG_0949b.jpg

IMG_0950b.jpg

IMG_0954b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, geeviam said:

Balzout has a good reputation.  I wanted a low profile mount that I could spin easily and quickly, to view from the bow.  I just installed a Johnny Ray mount.  It's on a firm rachet that spins 360 degrees with no knobs to adjust.  Quick release, for storage with the slide lever on the front.  Still new - still testing, but I like it so far.  Corrosion-proof too - made of heavy duty nylon.

Gary,  How much slim has touched he surface of the new skiff?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, geeviam said:

None yet Matt.  Planning to fish the flood tides this month.  Was going to fish the marsh this past full moon, but couldn't pull it off.  Can't wait!!

Get out and get that thing dirty .  None of the tides this month will will have a tidal coefficient number as high as last months 103 that tide moved some fish . Looks like the highest tidal coefficient numbers foe this month would be the 24 th . If you can sneak out between the 23 rd and 25th than you can’t use a weak tide as a excuse for not catching and releasing and record number of reds . That boat needs to get in its environment and you need to start looking for redfish tails . Good luck 🍀 hope you get out soon . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, dabear said:

That boat needs to get in its environment and you need to start looking for redfish tails . Good luck 🍀 hope you get out soon . 

Absolutely right Joe!  I plan to fish those days.  Hopefully, I won't need excuses, LOL!  Thank you!!

Thanks everyone for the responses. I do like thee Precision Sonar and the Johnny Ray mount. With my windshield, I don't think the JR mount would allow me to spin it to view from the front. I ordered a Balzout mount, which should be here soon. I will say Shane was very helpful, ensuring I had the right mount for my application. Hopefully have everything in soon and get back out there.

Thanks again!

• Like 2

I have a 12" lowrance mounted on top of the console and it is perfect.  I found when running the pathfinder, you are generally standing and seeing over is very easy.  Also if using the FMT in tight spots, ie: Ten Thousand Islands, I  really don't like looking down to see the screen and missing a cut in the mangroves.  This set up has worked great and I cant see a need to ever have to adjust angle or location as the screen is plenty big to see.   

IMG_1621.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JPizzle said:

I have a 12" lowrance mounted on top of the console and it is perfect.  I found when running the pathfinder, you are generally standing and seeing over is very easy.  Also if using the FMT in tight spots, ie: Ten Thousand Islands, I  really don't like looking down to see the screen and missing a cut in the mangroves.  This set up has worked great and I cant see a need to ever have to adjust angle or location as the screen is plenty big to see.   

IMG_1621.JPG

Nice clean looking console setup...

On 6/3/2021 at 7:14 PM, JPizzle said:

IMG_1621.JPG

I really like that console topper. Did the same guy make it also?