16 Hewes 90 Yamaha Speeds

flatsfisher772

2000 Hewes Bayfisher w/ 2stroke Yamaha 90hp. Anyone with a similar setup, what kind of top speed are you getting and what’s your prop setup?

I’ve got an old power tech 3.25 x 15 and I’m maxing out at 5000 RPMs and a top speed of 30-32mph totally unloaded, 1 person, very little gas. Hole shot *** and will blow out on hard turns. Power tech said the prop is so old it probably just needs to be reconditioned. I’ve read through old posts and see some people with the same setup break 40mph WOT.

I have been slowly trying to optimize my 2001 Redfisher as well. Bought the boat with a 4 blade power tech 17 or 18 pitch prop. The boat ran 40 but would blow out in a turn if the motor was trimmed out any little bit. I lowered the motor one hole and picked it back up after one run. 
 The most current prop I ran was the mercury spit fire 15 pitch. It ran about 32 mph with two adults a 14 year old and one of my springer spaniels. 
 I am not happy about going slower but this prop would hold the bite in the turns. I did test a 17 spitfire a few months ago and it seemed a little tall for the 90 Yamaha. 
 I want to try one more set up. I want to search out a really nice three blad and try the plate on the fin that bobs machine sells. I also wonder if setting the motor back a few inches would help overcome the fact that the motor blows out in turns. 
 I’m a little confused that all the writings you find on the net say the 90 Yamaha is the perfect motor for the little boat. Yet the motor has to be tucked completely under in the slightest turn or it blows the prop out.. ohh and when it’s tucked all the way under it sprays water out both sides of the motor. 

12 hours ago, HoneyB said:

I have been slowly trying to optimize my 2001 Redfisher as well. Bought the boat with a 4 blade power tech 17 or 18 pitch prop. The boat ran 40 but would blow out in a turn if the motor was trimmed out any little bit. I lowered the motor one hole and picked it back up after one run. 
 The most current prop I ran was the mercury spit fire 15 pitch. It ran about 32 mph with two adults a 14 year old and one of my springer spaniels. 
 I am not happy about going slower but this prop would hold the bite in the turns. I did test a 17 spitfire a few months ago and it seemed a little tall for the 90 Yamaha. 
 I want to try one more set up. I want to search out a really nice three blad and try the plate on the fin that bobs machine sells. I also wonder if setting the motor back a few inches would help overcome the fact that the motor blows out in turns. 
 I’m a little confused that all the writings you find on the net say the 90 Yamaha is the perfect motor for the little boat. Yet the motor has to be tucked completely under in the slightest turn or it blows the prop out.. ohh and when it’s tucked all the way under it sprays water out both sides of the motor. 

Spitfire is a 4 blade aluminum, go to a 3 blade stainless with a good bit of cup and you should see more speed and grip. Hard to put cup in an aluminum prop.

• Like 1

Recently purchased a Michigan Wheel Apollo XHS 3-blade, and getting good results with my setup.  Grip in turns is equal to the Spitfire X7, but this prop is faster.  Hole shot is impressive too.  It's a vented prop, with a sharp leading edge, and enough cup for good all-around performance.  The price is almost half what a Spitfire X7 costs, and the quality of the finish is as good or better.  They make a 13-3/8 x 15p, part # 993143.  You'll need a XHS hub kit # 208 to fit the yamaha (don't use a Merc Flo-Torq or Solas hub kit - they say they are compatible, but the XHS hub kit has the best fit for the motor and the prop).

deepblueyachtsupply.com sells them, and packs them up nicely in a double box for shipping.  It won't arrive with one blade hanging out of the box because the seller didn't give a sh** when they packed it for shipping!

------------------

The Apollo XHS also comes in a 13-1/4 x 17p, part # 993144 if needed.  Not sure what maximum RPM is needed on your rig.  Hope this helps :)

Edited by geeviam
added 17 pitch part #